flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I was working in the garden and checked to see how to know if my onions were ready to be picked and apparently next year I will depend on containers for them.😩

they don't like a lot of competition and seem to want reliable water supply plus good soil. it is very early here for us to be doing anything with the regular bulbing onions, but green onions can usually always be planted and harvested througout the season unless you want to leave some plants for flowers/seeds. the green onions are flowering now here - they are a great bee population survey crop to monitor. i always see a wide variety of bees on them.

akroberts

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
they don't like a lot of competition and seem to want reliable water supply plus good soil. it is very early here for us to be doing anything with the regular bulbing onions, but green onions can usually always be planted and harvested througout the season unless you want to leave some plants for flowers/seeds. the green onions are flowering now here - they are a great bee population survey crop to monitor. i always see a wide variety of bees on them.
I put them in the green house and gave them a spot of their own but I still didn't get any onions. I got plenty of green onions. Next year they will be in a container

akroberts

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wally figured out that he doesn't like everything mom and dad have but he loves the empty cans.🤣
IMG_20240514_185800.jpg