Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Hinotori ... Dang. I don't use 10# a year unless I go on a massive baking binge! 🤣. In fact, I have more than half of a 10# left from last yr. But I bought another 10# just in case. Now coffee, way more of that is used. 👍👍

IF I baked more.... Well, I'd just have to eat it all by myself. With age, I've tried to reduce my love of sweets! The love is still there but, controlling eating.😁😋

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Hinotori ... Dang. I don't use 10# a year unless I go on a massive baking binge! 🤣. In fact, I have more than half of a 10# left from last yr. But I bought another 10# just in case. Now coffee, way more of that is used. 👍👍

IF I baked more.... Well, I'd just have to eat it all by myself. With age, I've tried to reduce my love of sweets! The love is still there but, controlling eating.😁😋

Hubby loves his sweet tea and I do some for kombucha.

His tea I make is no where near as sweet as what a restaurant down south serves.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep, tea every day can use it! When I did food sampling gigs, I watched people use enough sugar in coffee to make syrup 😱😋 Those daily things can go thru it fast. When my kids were young I used a LOT more -- iced tea, cookies, etc. 😁

Still gonna have these things in stores, just less volume and higher prices. Prices being the "thing". Still sugar beets being grown but, most sugar cane type will be from other countries -- transport costs, etc,etc. the water limitations in Western area of USA will affect many crops. Weather! Drought & floods -- both destroy crops and orchards. ☹️

Always our wallet. 🤷

Last edited:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I've been re-doing a storage area that I filled up during covid - I am flush on sugar and rice for LIFE I think, lol. Need to get more coffee though.

this is a large sugar beet growing area and the local producer has just brought online a sugar refining from molasses upgrade. they'll be able to convert 80 million more pounds of sugar from molasses each year.

this company is owned by the growers.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Woohoo. The pulp from those beets are used in animal feeds. If you know how to use it, great as forage sub and really helps senior horses no able to eat hay.😄

they don't waste anything.

what is great is that sometimes you can get a decent sale on their sugar which makes it competitive with the cane sugar imports. we go through a lot of sugar each year (probably 500lbs or more).

Mom said she was going to slow down on her baking and cooking last fall, but as of yet i don't see that at all. in the past few weeks she's made thousands of cookies and many other things and then also many meals for us and others.

Latest posts