22 Signs You Are Desperate To Quit Your Office Job To Become A Homesteader

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
22 Signs You Are Desperate To Quit Your Office Job To Become A Homesteader

1. You run the world’s tiniest farmers market. Out of your cubicle.

2. “Picking up chicks” means something totally different to you than it does to the 20 year old marketing intern with the greasy hair.

3. Everyone in the office is passionate about byflow conversion and you’re like, “check out the germination rate of these peppers!”

4. The entire office break-room smells like kimchi. It’s your fault, and you aren’t Korean.

5. You don’t understand why Carhartts and Muck Boots aren’t appropriate for Casual Friday.

6. During pointless conference calls you browse seed catalogs. During virtual staff meetings you browse seed catalogs. On hold to IT to reset your password, you browse seed catalogs. During mandatory compliance trainings, you browse seed catalogs. During new project stack sessions, you browse seed catalogs.

7. You bring your dairy goat kids with you to the office and bottle feed them in the Mother’s Room.

8. You openly mock your co-workers who play FarmVille on Facebook. Frickin’ tourists.

9. You put in for a week of vacation to repair your mini-tractor and actually enjoyed yourself.

10. While peer-interviewing a potential new hire, you grill him for a firm commitment on his stance vis-a-vis determinate vs. indeterminate tomatoes.

11. Your LinkedIn profile lists your professional title as “Senior Weeder, Back Garden.” You’re a software developer.

12. When you explain things like interactive visual analytics, you start, “Suppose you have two dairy cows…”

13. There’s an office crisis. Your coworker complains, “everyone is running around like chickens with their heads cut off!” and you respond, dead serious, “No they aren’t. Less flapping and squirting here.”

14. You stopped caring about the manure on your good office shoes 6 months ago, and the people in the elevator give you funny looks.

15. You bring your lunch in a mason jar. You keep the pens on your desk in a mason jar. You keep change for the vending machine in a mason jar. You keep business cards in a mason jar. You keep USB drives in a mason jar. You keep backup ethernet cables in a mason jar. You tried to keep your tablet, phone and charger in a mason jar but it didn’t fit, so you brought in a wooden harvesting basket.

16. Other people bring in donuts on Friday. You bring in growlers of homebrew, and upper management is still deliberating how to react.

17. When you took this job, you did so in part because it was only 5 minutes away from the local grange.

18. Co-workers know which boring commuter car is yours because of the bale of straw in the back seat.

19. You use the giant white board in the fish-bowl conference room to bubble sketch your plans for an off-grid homestead. People mistake it for the new highly redundant data center architecture and you get a raise.

20. You have a nice little side hustle selling free-range eggs to your co-workers for $8 a dozen, and this still doesn’t cover the cost of your chicken feed.

21. You’ve shifted from an 8 am to 5 pm shift to a 4 am to 1 pm shift. You’re up at dawn to feed the animals anyway, and wrapping up early gives you more opportunity to work on fencing while it’s still light out.

22. You know all about bull****, and you see more of it in 20 minutes of office politics than on a 20,000 head cattle ranch.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Is it scary that quite a few of those things have happened in my life? Especially the one about taking a baby goat to work, lol! And the one about hay in the back seat - in my case it was in my SUV, and I do sell eggs - but not for $8 a dozen, and I make Kimchi (and I'm not Korean) and... so o and so on and so on!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Guilty to most of those -- but, finally I only do work that I can adjust for my farm needs. Guess that's what "retired" means:cool:

Then, Social Security said it was age -- I just said "send money".
My eggs at work sales have become, eggs sold at DD work and friends beauty shop & locals in neighborhood. Soaps take me to "bazaars & craft shows".

Used to know where all the best dress & shoe shops were, now TSC, Lowe's & Farmer's Feed are my favs. I can get excited over a good pair of muck boots on sale. I can REMEMBER doing these things but, suspect I have truly moved on to "an old homesteader" status.....at least I can still remember :lol:

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
If I worked, I'd be able to say guilty to most of those.

Myhouseisazoo2

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I do sell eggs at work not at $8 but yeah still sell. Also I seem to be the person everyone talks to about their critter problems and gardening questions:old or anything farm/homesteading related now that I think about it

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I should add to the list "If you see the cattle panels in the tomato cage thread and go omg I want some of that!!", but scroll past adverts for shoes, clothes and everything else I've been ignoring in my travels :hide

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I should add to the list "If you see the cattle panels in the tomato cage thread and go omg I want some of that!!", but scroll past adverts for shoes, clothes and everything else I've been ignoring in my travels :hide

:yuckyuck

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Love it! I not only hung up my high heels, but tossed two garbage bags full of them! (to Goodwill)