An easy to make concrete planter for yourself or to sell

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
All you need is an old towel, some Quickrete and a mold.

I came across this article and thought I would share it with you all. Not only does this planter seem rather easy to make, but it is very unique. It is also something that can be made and would sell at craft shows or farm markets. It could be made in many different sizes depending on what you use as a "mold", and with a little dye thrown in, it can be made in many different colors.

concrete-planter-8.jpg

Materials needed:

– 1/2 bag of QUIKRETE
– 1 mixing stick for concrete
– water, accordingly
– 2 5-gallon buckets
– 1 towel

concrete-planter-4.jpg

Take an old towel and take a second 5-gallon bucket and flip it upside down. Lay the towel over the bucket to test the length of the towel. You’ll want the ends to just be touching the ground, but you don’t want too much excess. If your towel is too long, cut some of the length off on either side. Keep measuring the towel on your bucket until you get the size you desire.

Put your towel into the concrete bucket. Keep mixing your towel around and cover every single centimeter of it in concrete. This is the most important step–my towel had a few spots not covered in concrete, and you ended up seeing those spots in the final product.

Once your entire towel is covered in the concrete slush, drape it over the upside down bucket. Move it around and make sure the sides are even and laid out how you want them to look.

concrete-planter-6.jpg

If you see any bare spots, now is the time to take some concrete and patch those spots.

Let the planter dry for 24-48 hours. Once completely dry, remove the bucket from the concrete towel. (Drill two holes in the bottom of the planter for drainage.)

Flip the planter right-side up. Fill with soil and a plant.

concrete-planter-9.jpg

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's really cute. You could use different shapes, etc., vice a bucket. Actually, even material other than a towel, so long as the concrete was totally saturated.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yes, that is what I was thinking...all different shapes, sizes, colors. For someone looking for a craft that would sell, I believe this could be a good seller. In 10 years of doing craft shows, I have never seen anything like it. And, today you either have to be unique (or sell food) to make decent money at a craft show. Of course, if you are not interested in the homestead money-making side, you can still make some for yourself or as gifts.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
This is brilliant! Thank you for sharing MoonShadows, I'm going to put this one on my to-do list.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You could also use other objects like old shoes and make little planters out of them or even something like wicker baskets. The more porous or textured things would probably work better and allow the concrete to adhere and hold better without chipping off.

CJ1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
They are really neat looking.

But let me offer a lil piece of advice. Use some kind of supporting structure. Pieces of metal. Coat hangers etc. Concrete is very brittle. Maybe bend old coathangers into the shape you want then layer them between two towels and soak with the concrete for a little extra support.

I'm gonna pick up a bag of quickcrete this weekend and try it out.

Dianna Starr

Power Conserver
Reaction score
right on MoonShadows...!!!!! holy cow this is a totally great idea ...! :) i love it :thumbsup i was just looking for a few planters, but wont pay the prices even at the dollar store HA :D usually i make what ever i need , from recycling or a good DIY project from what ever i can find & for cheap or even free , i have a bunch of QUIKRETE so i could DIY these very kool planters i love this amazing idea many thanks for sharing with us this wonderful very kool idea..!!! :frow rock on :ya:celebrate:woot

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Hi, Dianna, welcome to SS! :frow