Anxiety/phobia remedies

Ros

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
A few years ago I had a bad experience with a dentist that has made me fear going to the dentist (the assistant was also crying at the end, it was so bad). I have two crowns that need to be done in the next couple weeks.

I've looked around here and found some long-term anxiety remedies, but I'm looking for some short-term ones just for this. I have Bach's Rescue Remedy, and plan to use that, but I don't know that it has a huge effect on me. I'm willing to try an individual flower remedy, homeopathic, or essential oils (except lavender, to which I'm allergic), and other things.

Suggestions?

Amiga

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
A couple of thoughts - lemon balm is a nervine, helps soothe anxiety. There is a Bach's for fighting fear (rock rose, I think).

On a different tack, I used to have a dentist phobia. Long personal story, but it was intense.

I am okay now. Part of that was talking it out with someone who knew about dealing with PTSD and trauma. I have learned that having some control makes a difference. If I ever feel anxious at the dentist, I tell them. So you may need to talk to them today and tell them what you are feeling. I did this with a surgeon about to do a fine needle biopsy on my neck a couple years ago. I said, "if I start feeling panicky, you need to stop for a few minutes while I tell myself that my life is not endangered, that you care about me and do not want to hurt me." He was grateful for the advice, as he had just had to deal with another person who went hyper due to a panic attack during the procedure. Sure enough, I did start getting that feeling. He stopped, while I said out loud a few things (somehow saying it aloud helps my brain to really get it). I settled down, we finished up no problem.

My dentist and hygienist know the same. Stop a few minutes, let me sort it out, then we can go again.

Hope this helps.

Ros

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
My new dentist is great, and they were very kind during my filling. They let me stop whenever I needed, and I listened to music the whole time. I think that the anxiety is getting better, but I still had some physical symptoms of extreme anxiety (like having to use the restroom about 15 times! lol). They do have sedation, but it would put me in lalaland for the rest of the day, too, which I'm not sure I want to do.

Lemon balm sounds like a good idea. I will have to get some tea. I used to grow it, but didn't this year for lack of space.

rose61

Frugally lurking
Reaction score
If I ever feel anxious at the dentist, I tell them. So you may need to talk to them today and tell them what you are feeling. I did this with a surgeon about to do a fine needle biopsy on my neck a couple years ago. I said, "if I start feeling panicky

:*RosE*:

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Long or short-term....St. John's Wort. Skullcap. Valarian.

Or maybe just steep some catnip or chamomile as a tea.

Lavendar for aroma therapy. Push all negative thoughts away.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Talk to your new dentist first and explain. :)

I had a bad dentist experience in childhood and didn't go back to a dentist for more than a decade. Couldn't ignore a bad toothache and had to go in for a root canal.

I told the dentist what had happened and that I have a panic disorder dx. She was FANTASTIC. She was very slow and careful to make sure I was totally numb before she did anything. I didn't feel anything, and I'm not afraid of the dentist anymore. :)

Anxiety before your appointment is probably worse than the appointment itself. "Anticipatory anxiety" - no fun at all.

But seriously, cognitive behavior therapy is way more effective than an herbal remedy. My anxiety used to be SEVERE. I was in cognitive behavioral therapy for 2 years. After the 1st year, I was off meds and no longer affected by anxiety. The 2nd year of therapy was to work on conflict resolution. Worth every single penny. I highly recommend it.