BarredBuff: Journal Dos

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am going to start journaling again. The last few months have been pivotal moments that have impacted me quite a bit. If you followed any of my previous journal you will know that I was heavily involved in FFA and was quite successful. I spent the past six months preparing to a be a state FFA officer, and secured one of the two regional nominations. I worked really hard, which explains my absence on here because between that and attempting to do daily chores and my college AND high school work. I just about lost my mind. Anyhow, I was predicted to become our regions next state officer, but I was defeated by the new State Vice President out of 12 offices. Number two office. So, ummm, yea a lot of time and drama fell into that ordeal. That just explains my absence for the past ten bajillion years.

For those of you who do not know me. I currently homestead and attempt to live a self-reliant life on a three acre homestead in Eastern Kentucky. I am a young man, and just graduated high school (do the math). I raise lots of chickens, ducks, geese, turkeys and rabbits to sell and consume on the homestead. I also raise a big vegetable garden, a berry patch, and small orchard. I can food like crazy and have since I was about 13. I am also obsessed with good eating. I cook quite a bit to fulfill the obsession which contributes to my goal of self-reliance and also helps pinch pennies along the way. I try and do most things myself by learning or experimenting. I am attempting to learn to rides horses. I am a strong Christian and teach youth group at my home church. I also have aspirations to learn to play the bass. I am going to college this fall locally and have no idea what to major in.

A few more things. Politically, I am obsessed with freedom and believe people should look after themselves. I believe the less g*v***ment the better. I also believe it is in everyone's best interest to prepare for the unexpected. I also frequently write free lance articles for Backwoods Home Magazine. Oh and I don't watch much TV or any other mind numbing practice.

A little about me...

Today has been tiring. I got up early and worked two hours in the garden. Which is growing marvelously. I am hoping I will have plenty to lay back in the pantry. After I quit there I started to burn the cast iron cookware to remove a couple of years of baked grease and food from it. I had quite a bit to do. Our stuff plus a friends cookware. It took four hours to get all of that burnt off. Then I switched gears and worked on my venison jerky. I've two batches marinating right now to dehydrate tomorrow. Then I started back on the cast iron. I got it washed and seasoned. Then I went to Dads to work with the horse so maybe I'll be able to ride one eventually. No cooking today as I worked like a devil in the cast iron. So we had leftovers. Then Gran's brother brought us a ton of blackberries. So I'll be canning them tomorrow. Busy day again tomorrow...wouldn't have it any other way.

Toodles,
BarredBuff

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Nice to see you back on, Buffy. I've missed you. :hugs

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Nice to meet you, Buff :) Good luck with the horse riding lessons! There really isn't much to it, except keeping your balance (and seat) at first, but the more you do it, the easier it will get. You'll enjoy it, trust me.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
It is great to be back on the forum, I have missed it. Britesea, my name is James Kash.

sumi, this was my second lesson and it went wayyyyyy better than the first. I didn't fall off!!! But I think it will be something I'll enjoy and will definitely be handy in the years to come.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
It is a very enjoyable hobby! I used to ride regularly and did for over a decade. I loved it. Except the falling off part! I wiped out big time once or twice LOL But it was great...

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
DD, it is so good to be back!

Today was quite productive. I did not sleep good last night, I just tossed and turned a lot. Then woke up at 1 o'clock. So I've kind of dragged today. :( This morning, I got up and went to the garden. I managed to fix the space for my next cucumber plot. I got it amended good and tilled. I'm going to plant them after I finish mulching with manure since my fence is down to let me in. Then I mulched my winter squash plants really well with rich compost. This was their third feeding. I want to give them and the melons some manure tea one more time. I may do that in the morning. Then I worked on scattering a little rabbit manure in part of the corn patch. It was heavily amended before it was planted, so I am not to worried about it. The corn worms are working on a few stalks of corn. So I'll need to spray that patch in the morning. They REALLY damaged one stalk, but the others are very minor. They just really love this one stalk!!
IMG_3327.JPG

After that I fired the Water Bath Canner up and worked up my Blackberries. I managed to get 7 quarts canned. They look beautiful too! It was a simple process.
IMG_3332.JPG

Then I managed to get the jerky in the oven and let it start dehydrating. That took almost 5 hours. My marinade was a little too heavy I believe, but boy it sure tastes great!

I had to go to town today as well. During that visit I found a man peddling produce, and he had half-bushel boxes of white peaches. I had never had them before, but they are great! I bought a half-bushel and we have ate several. I am going to can the rest tomorrow too.

I had a meeting this evening that I had to attend, and dinner was provided. So I didn't do any heavy cooking today. :(
I did manage to get some editing done on some articles done today, and managed to get them printed in town for me to edit. I can't wait to get a printer so I don't have to bum anymore! Tomorrow is going to be busy again. I have garden work to do plus we have a tree to clear out, and peaches to can. Wouldn't have it any other way. :) Toodles!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
White peaches are yummy. I would have eaten several myself.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
They are better than what I expected actually.