Best Way To Store Chocolate Long Term...??

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Gee, I've got baking chocolate from <counts on fingers> 2003 or early 2004, some of which I made brownies with a few days ago, and it seemed perfectly fine to me. <shrug> I just keep it in a nonhumid kitchen cabinet on the outside wall of the house i.e. somewhat cool during the winter. It is really not something I've ever worried about -- yes, you will get 'bloom' but so what.

I've had good-quality eating type chocolate (dark chocolate) that was 4-5 years old, too; it was sort of, I don't know how to describe it, dry? bland? not at its best, certainly, neither taste nor flavor wise, but if you are going to cook with it it doesn't matter so much and if it's for barter in Times Of Hardship then I don't think people are going to be especially persnickety about it.

I daresay freezing would help but I've never done it.

Pat

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
The best sugar-free chocolate I ever ate (when I have to be truly, completely sugar-free, and I don't do trans fats and chemical sweeteners, ever) is this:

a big spoonful of baking cocoa (to taste)
1/2 c coconut oil
stevia powder to taste
nuts or peanuts (optional)

Melt coconut oil gently in microwave or double-boiler, stir in cocoa and stevia powder. Put nuts, if using, into the sections of an icecube tray and pour the mixture over them. Put in the refriderator for a couple hours or in the freezer if you are desparate! But check them often in the freezer, as they will crack and crumble if they actually freeze. Store in the fridge, and when you eat them, eat quickly as they really melt in your hands!

Coconut oil is good for you and there is a school of thought that one should take in an ounce or two daily during a weight-loss program ("Eat Fat, Lose Fat"). That is a great excuse that works for me!

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Oh.....Oh I think I LOVE you freemotion! I am allergic to store bought chocolate bars...but i love them. Haven't had one in over a year because they are just not worth it...but I know it is not cocoa I'm allergic to because I can eat chocolate cake and brownies.
Now I can make my own hershy chocolate bars with almonds...YUMMY! Thanks so much for the recipe!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
DuppyDo said:
BeeKissed....I don't know if Pats storing for a chocolate shortage. I believe she mention in a recent thread she thought chocolate was a good bartering item in tougher times...
Seems like most of us would be willing to trade dried beans for chocolate :)

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
2dream said:
Rotate stock, store choclolate. These are terms that do not compute. Chocolate must be eaten immediately. All of it at one sitting. Well I guess you could store the wrappers and sniff them in bad times. The wrappers never ruin.
:yuckyuck

Since it is 2dream who said this, it just dawned on me that maybe it would work to bury them in the backyard! Actually, this would be a good way to keep it from my kids, too :)

(running upstairs to get some of my rasp chocolates. Mini muffin tins, frozen raspberries on the bottom, dark chocolate drizzled on top, cooled until firm, then popped out and stored in the freezer until times like this when I am reminded of chocolate)

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
...under lock and key so I can't get to it or it will never survive!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
2dream said:
Rotate stock, store choclolate. These are terms that do not compute. Chocolate must be eaten immediately. All of it at one sitting. Well I guess you could store the wrappers and sniff them in bad times. The wrappers never ruin.
Excellent!!! :clap :clap I agree and, once again, 2 dream, you have given me my laugh for the day!!! :gig

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Freemotion, you do the coconut bark too? I love that stuff!!!

I am not a stevia fan though, so I use erythritol instead.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I think Pat is right. I've noticed that the bars intended for immediate consumption get kind of stale after a while, but the baking chocolate, chocolate chips, and cocoa seem to last just fine.