1. Official SS Caption Contest #4 - Pic by frustratedearthmother
    Click HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

2. SS Picture Contest - Fall 2014
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

3. SS Featured Thread: A new sprinkler-stand base I made
    CLICK HERE!

4. Official Poll: What income-generating activities at home do you do?
    CLICK HERE!

5. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

6. Caption Contest Submissions - Pictures Needed
    Click HERE!

Best Way To Store Chocolate Long Term...??

Discussion in 'Emergency Preparedness' started by DuppyDo, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Jan 30, 2009
    DuppyDo

DuppyDo Lovin' The Homestead

Thanks everyone,seems like chocolate chips and cocoa powder are the way to go for longer term keeping...I have to confess, i'd have a hard time trying to keep bars of chocolate around for storage..!
  2. Apr 12, 2009
    patandchickens

patandchickens Crazy Cat Lady

As another data point, I will report that this morning I was totally desperate for chocolate and found an old Terry's Chocolate Orange (dark) and a Lindt Excellence 80% bar at the back of the top shelf of the kitchen. The Lindt Excellence 80% bar had a printed expiration date of April 2004; the chocolate orange had no date but was probably the same age.

They were AWFUL.

I could probably've used them for baking if I were really, really, really desperate, but they were not good to eat. Dusty-tasting and quite bitter, with only the faintest aftertaste of chocolate.

So, if that helps any, there ya go. Fortunately my husband turned out to have a big PC gold bar (dark choc. with almonds, best deal I know of, don't think it's sold in the US though) squirreled away under his socks :p (HE gave it to ME, I didn't go rifling through his socks looking :p) (e.t.a. - er, that's the socks in his dresser drawer, not the ones on his feet! <g>)

Pat
  3. Apr 12, 2009
    EweSheep

EweSheep Power Conserver

I've always freeze my chocolates but they never stick around that long enough to be stored for two months.

Pat, I figured your hubby kept a stash of those candies in his sock drawers. If he wanted to keep them for himself, he could have stashed them in his USED socks.
  4. Apr 30, 2009
    Mackay

Mackay Almost Self-Reliant

Hey, Wifezilla, have you ever tried using stevia as a partial sweetener? If you use too much I agree, it tastes weird, but if you use it in combo with honey or xylitol or maybe even erythritol (I don't know that one) it adds sweetness without the weird taste and will help to cut the cost on the more expensive sweeteners. Or even just with sugar to cut on sugar calories. I get my stevia pretty inexpensive on line.

Now what do you use coconut bark for?
  5. Apr 30, 2009
    Mackay

Mackay Almost Self-Reliant