Best Way To Store Chocolate Long Term...??

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks everyone,seems like chocolate chips and cocoa powder are the way to go for longer term keeping...I have to confess, i'd have a hard time trying to keep bars of chocolate around for storage..!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
As another data point, I will report that this morning I was totally desperate for chocolate and found an old Terry's Chocolate Orange (dark) and a Lindt Excellence 80% bar at the back of the top shelf of the kitchen. The Lindt Excellence 80% bar had a printed expiration date of April 2004; the chocolate orange had no date but was probably the same age.

They were AWFUL.

I could probably've used them for baking if I were really, really, really desperate, but they were not good to eat. Dusty-tasting and quite bitter, with only the faintest aftertaste of chocolate.

So, if that helps any, there ya go. Fortunately my husband turned out to have a big PC gold bar (dark choc. with almonds, best deal I know of, don't think it's sold in the US though) squirreled away under his socks :p (HE gave it to ME, I didn't go rifling through his socks looking :p) (e.t.a. - er, that's the socks in his dresser drawer, not the ones on his feet! <g>)

Pat

EweSheep

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I've always freeze my chocolates but they never stick around that long enough to be stored for two months.

Pat, I figured your hubby kept a stash of those candies in his sock drawers. If he wanted to keep them for himself, he could have stashed them in his USED socks.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Freemotion, you do the coconut bark too? I love that stuff!!!
I am not a stevia fan though, so I use erythritol instead.
Hey, Wifezilla, have you ever tried using stevia as a partial sweetener? If you use too much I agree, it tastes weird, but if you use it in combo with honey or xylitol or maybe even erythritol (I don't know that one) it adds sweetness without the weird taste and will help to cut the cost on the more expensive sweeteners. Or even just with sugar to cut on sugar calories. I get my stevia pretty inexpensive on line.

Now what do you use coconut bark for?