Can Bragg's Vinegar go bad?

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
I have the bottom of a bottle of Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar that I just found in the back of the cabinet. It is distinctly darker than my new bottle, but still smells "normal" if not slightly stronger than the new bottle. Can it go bad at all? Or is this just super fermented ACV now?? LOL
Just want to know that if I use it its not going to kill anyone :p

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have an old bottle as well. I can't imagine that it does go bad though... Hrmm. We used to leave jugs of apple cider set for what seemed like forever. We had an old, broken down chest freezer that we would put jugs of cider in (to keep wild animals out, it was in the middle of the woods, lol) to make vinegar. The cider cost us about $0.48/gallon because the apples were picked from the neighbor's orchard (he quit harvesting LONG ago, and let us pick as much as we wanted), but the $0.48/gal was the cost to run the apples through the cider press. :) Anyways, long story short, I'm curious as to the answer to your question as well, lol.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever heard of vinegar going bad or if it even CAN go bad. I know the vinegar I made grew darker with time but I figured it was just the mother growing bigger and darkening the fluid in the jug.

I looked up the question and found several articles about it and they all pretty much say the same as this one:

From a safety standpoint, commercially produced vinegar has a virtually indefinite shelf life, says the Vinegar Institute, an association that represents most of the worlds largest vinegar manufacturers.
And its not unusual for vinegar to develop a haze or sediment, or to change color, after it has been stored for some time, says the Institute. Those changes in appearance do not make the vinegar unsafe to use, it adds.
From a quality standpoint, though, prolonged storage can affect both the appearance and the flavor of many vinegars. In the case of opened wine vinegar, youll likely start to see at least some quality deterioration after a couple of years.
To help keep vinegar at its best, store it in a cool, dark area and keep it tightly capped after each use.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Yay thanks super smart people! :)
I didn't think I should just dump it!