Canning Suggestions

Land of Lincoln

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hello everyone, hope you've all recouped from any over indulging you may have done over the last few days. I'm guilty of it and the seams of my britches have been screaming at me for it.

I know nothing about canning, never done it, don't know the process, nada, zilch, zero - total novice on the subject. I'd like to start learning now on the process & supplies and what not's I will need to get started so I can start preparing for next year's harvest. I saw a pressure cooker on Craigslist and that got me to thinking I should ask you all here because ya'll are the experts and I'd like some suggestions on the in's and outs of everything.

I don't know brands of canning equipment or anything like that so any input would be greatly appreciated. We do have a couple of Farm & Home stores here and I've seen canning jars there so I'm assuming they may have the supplies to get started there. I have a room sectioned off in my garage where I will be storing everything once canned so I actually have a place to store the finished product.

Look forward to hearing everyone's input. Thank you in advance.

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
First thing. You really should make sure it is called a pressure canner and not a pressure cooker....a pressure cooker may not maintain adequate pressure to can something safely. If it is a canner just make sure the bottom is not warped. If someone used it incorrectly it may have been warped and won't sit well on the stove. The seals and all can be replaced and your extension office, Illinois have great ones, will test it for you most of the time for free. It should be large enough to fit quart jars. They do not recommend using small pots for canning...

Now that I got that off my chest......I think everyone should start with water bathing things. Tomatoes, fruit, pickles etc. It will give you experience in cleaning jars, putting lids on and dealing with sealing the jars with food in them. Then go to the pressure canning. It would be a big step to begin with canning who had never done anything with it before..

Craigslist is great for picking up jars and sometimes large pots for water bath.

Good luck..

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Once you get started, it's so much fun. A lot of work too, of course; but those rows of gleaming jars filled with your fruit and vegetables look so beautiful. It gives me a squirrely feeling, lol.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Once you get started, it's so much fun. A lot of work too, of course; but those rows of gleaming jars filled with your fruit and vegetables look so beautiful. It gives me a squirrely feeling, lol.

Those crystal clean colorful jars always remind me of jewels.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Go to your library and get a good book on the subject. It will tell you all sorts of things -- safety, terms, etc. Then get a Ball canning book, most of us have one LOL (they have recipes, time, pressure needs, etc), then when you feel overwhelmed, we can all talk you through it. It's not hard once you jump in & do it. As others have said, know your equipment, use it wisely. Jars -- used are often good, always run your fingers around the tops to check for chips as they won't seal well. It's a sizeable expense to start BUT, all re-useable for many years (except lids). Think investment.

Every canner has their own favorite. Often it comes down to how much you do, when, time you have, etc. Some canners hold more jars (double stacked). A lot of your veggies can be water bath canned. Grandmas did that for years as they often had no pressure canner, takes more watching. I have a mandolin type slicer that makes slicing & dicing a snap! Real time saver. My food processor also does slice, dice, etc....but, I like the hand op of the mandolin. 1/2 bushel of cukes sliced in minutes & same size slice....pickles anyone?

As Britesea says....it's a beautiful thing to see a well filled stash of canned food! I always loved to just sit in my grandmas cellar & look at winter's food supply. Colorful, picture perfect, fresh veggies, jams & jellies, relishes, stock, meats. You are ahead of the game with a storage area. Check the temps this winter & next summer, keep it dark when closed, and know there is airflow.

I'm looking forward to Spring & gardening...and it's only Nov

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have not done any canning either. I'm kind of scared I'll mess it up, lol. But next year I really want to learn!

Looking forward to the seed catalog arriving so we can plan our garden. I'm kind of new to gardening and still have a lot to learn :)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I was scared the first time too! But, when you take those jars out of the canner and you hear that ping, ping, ping as they seal - no better sense of satisfaction out there!

Land of Lincoln

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
@NH Homesteader - I too, am worried about making mistakes, no one likes to make them, however, I consider a mistake as something learned so it's a bit easier to digest and I try & not repeat it. At least that's my perspective on it.

There's so many knowledgeable people here, thank you all for your input. There's so much here to read, such great posts and pictures, I'm envious of everyone.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
There is a lot of good videos on YouTube showing how to can. I like Linda's Pantry for all types of food prep and preservation. It's not any harder than following a recipe and cooking. I wouldn't buy a water bath canner though any tall pot with a lid will work. You will need a rack in the bottom or use canning rings to keep the jars off the bottom. Spend a little money and buy a canning kit with a jar lifter, canning funnel and a magnetic lid picker upper. You can't imagine how important these are until you try canning without one. I haven't had a pressure canner in years and only water bath can but I plan on getting a pressure canner (or two) in a couple of months. I would be careful getting a canner off Craig's list unless someone can go with you to check it out that knows canners. Good luck and enjoy the fruit of your labor.

Latest posts