chickens!

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Finally got some hens. Not sure what took so long. A friend gave us 5 year-old australorps. Took them a while to figure out the water but now they're drinking OK. I threw in some kitchen scraps and they were less excited than I expected so I wonder if they're still stressed from the move.

Now I've got to finish the run (it's huge) and clip their wings. But I was thinking I'd let them hang out in the coop for a few days so they know it's safe and that the food is there. Wing clipping sounds fine in theory but now I actually have to catch the birds and make it happen---without anyone breaking a wing or some other appendage.

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Awesome!
If you have some one to help you just cover their heads and they will be calmer for you to do the clipping.

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
yea chickens!! i love my girls. good idea to keep them in the coop for a few days to calm down. it is also easier to catch them at night to clip their wings. enjoy them.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Congrats of your new birds!

I always give new birds a week or two locked up to get used to their new home before they can come out.

I let mine free range so I don't clip wings. The runs are covered with netting to keep out pets and predators as much as it is to keep the easter egger girls in who like to fly out. None of my other birds can get out of the 6 foot tall walls.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Congrats on your new hens! Australorps are fantastic chickens. They lay well, have nice temperaments and they are hardy. Enjoy!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yeah, what DID take you so long to get chickens?? :lol: Now you are about to learn allllllll about CHICKEN MATH! Then if you get really brave, you'll raise meat chickens and butcher them. You know you'll never be able to resist those peeping fluffy chicks in the feed stores in the spring........ and COLORS!! They come in so many COLORS!! Different breeds, gotta have one of those, two of these and gimme some of those over there...... :gig

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
That would be nice, but I was talking the 5th amendment.

Latest posts