Dating Old Canning Jars?

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I just wondered if anyone knew how one could find the age of an old canning jar. I've been looking at a few websites, but haven't found anything very helpful yet. I noticed a lot of similar type jars for sale on e-bay but none of the sellers seems to know the date of manufacture.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
I just wondered if anyone knew how one could find the age of an old canning jar. I've been looking at a few websites, but haven't found anything very helpful yet. I noticed a lot of similar type jars for sale on e-bay but none of the sellers seems to know the date of manufacture.
Some Canadian made canning jars, particularly the "Improved Gem Jar" made by Dominion Glass/Domglas/Consumers Glass have a year number (e.g. 53) stamped into the bottom, but I haven't seen this with most other canning jar manufacturers. Sometimes you can get a year range by the style of logo used, or the jar shape, as these have changed a bit over time.

Here's a few links that I've found to be good reading, hopefully they show what you are looking at :)

http://www.sha.org/bottle/food.htm#Canning/Fruit Jars
http://www.oocities.org/siliconvalley/chip/4514/jarthumb.html
http://www.myinsulators.com/glass-factories/bottlemarks.html

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I know there is a book at my public library. I don't remember the name. They wouldn't let me check it out because its considered reference material. It was very expensive to buy.

I went in to look it over but all the jars and dates were a bit overwhelming.

So what type of jars do you have?

G

Justme

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Moolie is definately the boss when it comes to Canadian jars (still trying to come up with a cheap way to get jars and lids from you Moolie but we are almost on opposite sides of the continent) and she has a good handle on American made also.
I wish I could provide you with some links to some of the great websites I have found but unfortunately complete melt down of old computer is preventing that. (you'd think with 3 computer professionals in the house we'd know better about keeping up with backups). I did have some paper copies of some of the info I've found but those are buried right now. There is some info accessible in my brain though. If you could post some pics and give some details I might be able to help. Depends on just how old. I don't have much on really ancient stuff.

In general to answer your exact question it depends on color,shape, and markings. For most American jars you can only get down to a range of years that a particular style was manufactured. Logos changed, companies began and went out of business, materials used to make the glass changed ( hence changes in color ). All that until you get to reproductions that is or the fake coloring. I have caught several people trying to sell "antique blue" jars which have a logo on them that is the one used today.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Thank you everyone, for your helpful replies. I don't think the jar I have is terribly old. I suspect possibly art deco era, but that is an uneducated guess. These jars seem to be fairly cheap and reasonably available, however very distinctive and that is what caught my attention. Here is a similar jar (the Kerr jelly jar on the left). I'm not really concerned about value, just curious about when it was made. I wish brand new jars came in interesting styles like this one I found.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That looks a bit like some of the French Jelly jar's I've seen at the flea market. I have a few of different shapes that we use as glasses..

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
So you think that style may be from France rather than US?

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
So you think that style may be from France rather than US?
I'm not sure. just repeating what I was told by a guy who collects glass and jars from all over.. they may have been made here in the US or Canada for the French. I know that sometimes the canning jars I buy are made in Canada cuz that is where Jardin is located.
Mine are more of the 8 sided type.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
there is a link that I went to on another forum and I just found it again. it is for ball jars. but I'll put it up so that you can tell some..
I was shocked that many of the jars that I've been given and picked up at yard sales are older than my mother! and I use them still.. had a neighbor yell at me to take that jar in cuz it was worth $5. I had a blue one that I had a piece of raw hamburger and wine in and an old funnel on top to keep wasps away from the picnic table.. she had a fit.. I didn't tell her I can in them and have a couple dozen or more in the basement.. she'd probably faint.:th

http://home.earthlink.net/~raclay/DatingBalljars.HTML

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Thanks, Emerald. :) I looked up "French Jelly Jars" and it seems that it is a style, not necessarily origin of the jar. I think it is the type of jar that could double as a drinking glass. The term is new to me and I didn't see an exact written definition, but that is the impression I am getting.