1. Announcing the new awards/recognition feature - medals!
    Read MORE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

2. SS Featured Thread: What do you do...
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

3. Official SS Caption Contest #3 - August 2014 - Pic by Hinotori
    Click HERE!

4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

5. Caption Contest Submissions - Pictures Needed
    Click HERE!

Dating Old Canning Jars?

Discussion in 'The Self-Sufficient Kitchen - From Recipes to Proc' started by DrakeMaiden, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Sep 2, 2012
    sweetproserpina

sweetproserpina Power Conserver

Cool! Now I gotta go around my house and peek at all my gem jars- my toothbrushes are sitting in one as I type... Thanks moolie!
  2. Sep 4, 2012
    moolie

moolie Almost Self-Reliant

Glad to be of help, I wish all my jars had dates--I know I have quite a range with the oldest Gem from sometime in the 40s and most from the 50s, plus lots of 80s and 90s Consumers jars (not dated but I know when they were purchased). I also have 6 cool older Crown jars that could be about 100 years old, still haven't found the exact jars anywhere online so I'm just guessing based on the "strong shoulder" style.

We use old mugs for toothbrushes, I think hubs and mine are in a Christmas theme mug. :)
  3. Sep 6, 2012
    sweetproserpina

sweetproserpina Power Conserver

So I started turning over my Crown jars too... and some on the pints had dates on the bottom, some from the forties, some the fifties.. My larger quart blue tinted Crown that I'm currently using as a lamp shade in the kitchen doesn't have a date :( I have yet to venture down to my cold cellar and check my other larger jars.. I wonder if the dated ones are the 'newer' ones, and the undated are older?
  4. Sep 6, 2012
    moolie

moolie Almost Self-Reliant

You got it :)

I've never seen dates earlier than the 40s, everything prior to that was (likely) undated.

The coloured ones (blue, green, amber for European jars) are the really old ones.
  5. Jul 24, 2014
    NorthboundBear

NorthboundBear Sustainable Newbie

I have a Canadian Improved gem that has 1933 on the bottom! I am quite excited to have found it in the cellar. It is in perfect condition and even has the tin ring and the glass insert top.
    Britesea likes this.
  6. Jul 25, 2014
    WendyJ

WendyJ Power Conserver

7. Jul 25, 2014
    sumi

sumi Lovin' The Homestead Moderator

That's a great find!