DianeS - Listeria spreading, culling the rabbits

Flytyer24

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Yea, the worry isn't the ads. It is what else they are tracking... one of those articles talks about how google is taking on more of your personal info.... if you have a facebook it references the posts you make and you personal stuff and holds this info. You would be surprised how much info they now about you.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hmm. Mine's pretty well blocked to the public (though if it's in my computer, I'm pretty well screwed, lol). I hope they don't mind my occasional "foraging" events for, umm, well, distasteful things, lol. Ah well. Maybe I should start looking up some really crazy stuff.

Flytyer24

Power Conserver
Reaction score
When you go online if you use explorer. Just press (ctrl, shift, p) This will put the browser in private mode. I don't know if this works with other browsers but you can try.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Thanks actually pretty scary! I wonder how it is done on Chrome.

Flytyer24

Power Conserver
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
Thanks actually pretty scary! I wonder how it is done on Chrome.
Alright well I did a little more investigating... Seeing how these browsers are run by companies that benefit from tracking you. Alright so there are private modes and non-tracking modes...

Private modes will be like a no history kind of thing... usefull if you are buying let's say christmas gifts but really not that much protection.

The non tracking modes:

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-do-i-turn-do-not-track-feature

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30684_3-20029348-265.html

will tell you how to put this up.... But that being said these are just prompts asking the websites to not track you and are readily ignored by websites.

So the only option is really a third party program... With a little searching things like UNCHROME and others will take care of it for you... So really it will depend on your level of concern. But don't believe that internet providers, social networking sites, and browsers are there to do the ethical thing....

Food for thought...

I suggest to everyone to have a paypal account and pay for their online purchases through that. It just puts a third steps between people and your money. This is the main problem with this much technology this fast... People just don't know how it works.

Another thing you can delete you cookies and browsing history but your computer will store this information in your hard drive hidden away... so with a quick search you can learn how to do a "flush"

I am not getting into that because I am no expert...

Just be Self Sufficient...

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
The Other Half and I just had a conversation about this today in fact.... Frightening.

DianeS

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am T.I.R.E.D.! I can't seem to catch up on my sleep this week. One day I put four chickens into the freezer, and realized how out of practice I am! Took hours and got me to bed late. Another day I had to drop my hubby off at school, go to the bank, stop at the feed store, get a key made, moved the rabbits, took the chicken coop apart, cleaned the chicken run, stacked the rabbits in the chicken run, put the chicken coop back together, harvested grass seed, then showered and got dressed up for my anniversary dinner with hubby, and of course got to bed late. Another day I had to put 8 chickens into the freezer and fix the fencing and door to the chicken coop. Today I put another 7 chickens in the freezer (I have GOT to get faster at that!).

It didn't help that my rabbit cages don't have baby saver wire in them (what a silly oversight. I haven't had a litter in so long I literally forgot about that important requirement) so I had to schlep the kits in and out to their mom twice a day, requiring me to get up a half hour earlier than I otherwise would have needed to. The kits are now too large to fit through the regular wire and out with mom full time, so that should help.

In the middle of all this I find out my iron levels are too low. I sell plasma for spending money, and you can't give the plasma if your hematocrit is less than 38, and mine was 34 - definately anemic. So that accounts for some more of the tiredness. I started a multivitamin and started eating more red meat and spinach salads, which got my levels to 37. I'm on another vitamin now (a prenatal vitamin, which my doctor calls a "women of childbearing age" vitamin) that has almost twice the amount of iron in it, so we'll see if that helps. I want my money AND my energy back!

I'm ready for bed. Maybe I can catch up on some sleep this weekend.

In related news, all but 2 of my Cornish Rock chickens are residing in coolers. Yay! Nineteen down, two to go. The hens weighed 5-7 lbs, giving bone-in carcasses of 3-4 lbs. The roosters weighed 7-9 lbs, giving bone-in carcasses of 5-6 lbs. Plus assorted livers, hearts, feet, etc that I didn't weigh. I'm excited. This is my first time doing my own chickens for meat, and they're SO much easier than the dual purpose roosters I've done before. I'm very pleased. I'll post exact cost and result numbers later, but it looks like these semi-organic chickens of mine are costing about $1.50 per pound. Better than the non-organic stuff at the store. Averaging those chickens out, I've put over 100 lbs of chickens into the fridge in the last week! Woo-hoo!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
That's great! I've thought about doing meat chickens, but there's just no place I could.

I just noticed your siggy. How can you have 2 and a half cats?