DianeS - Listeria spreading, culling the rabbits

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
The normal way for me to let my inner kid out is in my sense of humor. That's probably why I spend so much time hiding under a chair here, and ducking IRL.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm the same way. I still feel the need to run around like a retard though. Most of the time, I have my kids to "blame" it on... I can run with them, or buy toys that I really want to play with, but buy them for the kids... Like water balloons and squirt guns. My brother and I had all the kids up not too long ago, and it was hot, so I pulled out water balloons, water blasters and water guns, and honestly... My brother and I had a better time bombarding each other than the kids did! And, he's older! He's 26 and still has those kid moments, so I guess I still have at least a few years of it, lol.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Does your computer have these little ads at the bottom of a page of posts? Kinda related to what was discussed in the posts? Mine does. I usually ignore them, but I thought it was funny that the one that popped up after reading about the sprained ankle, cut leg, etc, was for a hospital for girls/women who self-injure. I guess my computer thinks you all are hurting yourself on purpose.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
:lol: Mine has ads for furniture.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score

DianeS

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bettacreek said:
I guess while we're nursing our injuries on new furniture in a hospital for self-injuring women, with shea slathered all over, we can play video games?!
The games could be hosted on our own shea-butter-furniture-injury-hospital website, according to the advertisement I see.

Flytyer24

Power Conserver
Reaction score
The adds are related to your serch history. Your internet provider tracks where you go and sells this info to advertisers. That is why you will see things that are seemingly coincidental. I have a goodyear commercial on the bottom of mine, I have been shopping for prices online for tires recently... weird.

They are actually starting to do market research this way. If you are really into let's say trucks; they will charge you more for truck stuff than someone who just buys stuff for trucks every once in awhile. There is actually litigation on stuff like this in the courts whether it is fair practice or not.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
How do they do that? The higher price for common shoppers thing... They used to just base the ads on what the thread content was, now they're tracking our personal habits. Fun stuff. I think I'll stick with my regular suppliers though... Not paying $10/lb of shea butter when I can get it at $3/lb... Nice try though for the advertising agent, lol.

Flytyer24

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Scary huh? Each customer gets assigned a ip address... that's how they track it. So when you search google they track this, each advertisment whether you just scroll over it or click on it tracks that. You can disable cookies which will help some. Companies like google and facebook hoard huge amounts of data to sell to specific advertisers. They say they don't release any info but bring together buyers and sellers.

Firefox has a cool new thing call collusion... This will show you some of the tracking.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/250986/firefox_addon_collusion_shows_whos_tracking_you_online.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/brett-greene/how-to-protect-yourself-online_b_1500771.html

Some other articles on it,

http://lastwatchdog.com/online-advertising-tracking-privacy-time-bomb/

http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/21/opinion/wisniewski-google-privacy/index.html

I mean don't get too paranoid about it but it really is that magical time before the laws have really been set since it's newer technology. So watch it you will see all the weird "coincidences"

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Honestly, I'm not worried about them tracking stuff to give me advertisements. I don't use them anyways, so it's not really a big deal to see advertisements, even if they are "catered" to me (or so they think). It is interesting to think that they'd charge more for people who commonly buy though. Thankfully, I stick with my regular suppliers, and they haven't increased any prices since I've started purchasing.

Latest posts