1. Announcing the new awards/recognition feature - medals!
    Read MORE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

2. SS Featured Thread: What did you fix to eat today?
    Click HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

3. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

4. Caption Contest Submissions - Pictures Needed
    Click HERE!

DIY wooden crates for storing canning jars

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself Projects, Construction, Etc.' started by moolie, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Aug 16, 2012
    moolie

moolie Almost Self-Reliant

By request I am posting this here in the DIY section of the forum, originally posted in my journal :)

2. Aug 16, 2012
    moolie

I'd love handles, and hubs played around a bit with trying to drill out holes and cut between them, but the stock was a bit thick for his drill. For the next set I'm thinking we could make the ends out of two pieces of wood and leave a gap in between as a handle, I've been looking at old crates I see in various places for inspiration :)

Will do, I usually just keep everything in my journal so that "I" don't lose it, but I can totally see the value in having specific topics more searchable :)

Both :)

For now I don't have enough for all of my jars, but the crates are super for bringing empty jars from their various storage spots around the house to the kitchen for use while I'm canning, and then for transporting downstairs to my canning shelves and under the bed in my basement guest room.

They do stack nicely, I absolutely love them--thanks for the kind words, I'll pass them on to hubs :)
  3. Aug 16, 2012
    TanksHill

TanksHill Super Self-Sufficient

4. Aug 16, 2012
    moolie

Here's a couple of photos of what we're thinking with regards to adding handles to future crates:

Like this, with solid sides and two end boards with a space between to use as handles:
    [​IMG]

This shows the end construction better, but we'll stick with solid sides and only two horizontal end boards:

[​IMG]

And we'll keep doing the same style bottom that we're doing now.
  5. Aug 16, 2012
    Zoldani

Zoldani Enjoys Recycling

Those are nice, but you could save yourself the time by going to the grocery store and asking the produce manager to save you the wooden veggie crates. Not being any way.
  6. Aug 16, 2012
    moolie

Would love something like that, but I've never seen wooden crates used for anything around here, except wine bottles--and those are few and far between, come with expensive wines, and don't fit canning jars :(

Veggies and fruit come in cardboard boxes or re-usable plastic crates at a few places. I can get the cardboard boxes, the ones that hold bananas or tomatoes will hold 20 quarts (I have two of them full of jars under my basement guest room bed) but they get heavy when they are full of jars even when they are empty and I don't want to drop one by accident and possibly end up with 20 broken jars.
  7. Aug 17, 2012
    Corn Woman

Corn Woman Lovin' The Homestead

8. Sep 22, 2012
    CountryKat

CountryKat Enjoys Recycling

9. Sep 22, 2012
    ~gd

~gd Lovin' The Homestead

OLD pallets! some already have handle holes to use when the pallet is empty and moved by hand.
  10. Sep 24, 2012
    moolie

Hard to come by pallets of any sort around here. There are a few businesses that leave them out back with big "free" signs on them, but they are usually in really rough shape and only suitable for firewood (which is great when I'm heading out to Girl Guide camp) or they are the pressure-treated ones that I wouldn't want for much, and certainly not to keep food in and put in my pantry. I've actually noticed lately that some places that use pallets are using weird looking black plastic ones lately.