Do you grow figs?

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Do you grow figs? What variety? Why did you choose that variety?

I love figs...fresh and dried. I have always wanted to have a fig tree. I have been researching ones that can withstand Zone 6a and narrowed it down to the Brown Turkey, Celeste, and Chicago Hardy. Figuring I would have to wrap it at the end of each season, I was going to buy the Celeste because it is the smallest, but only bears fruit once a year (same with the Brown Turkey, but a little bigger tree), when what I really wanted was a Chicago Hardy that bears more than one crop...July through frost, but can grow up to 25-30 ft! (I can just see myself trying to wrap that monster each fall!) I was glad when I spoke to my local nursery. They said I can grow the Chicago Hardy and let it die back to the ground each winter. In our area it should come back each Spring, grow to a manageable size and bear great figs.

So, I bought a Chicago Hardy and am going to give it a try. Can't wait to try my first crop of fresh figs. If I get a lot, I plan to dry the rest for the winter.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I just got one in TSC and need to figure out where I'm going to plant it.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I love dried figs!! Neighbor has tree and used to dehydrate. She got my eggs & I got some of her figs...great deal! Neighbor sold and moved, going to check status of tree this week and bargain for those figs.

We had mild winter this year but yr before, bad. Tree suffered and while I believe it's still alive, not sure about health.

Another friend has 3 "trees" of figs. Never seen any so large and she doesn't even eat them. I plan to get those this yr as I found out too late last that she just gives away and throws away. o_O

Some of my chickens are clearing my selected planting spot right now. I'm looking for an established Celeste, think I have one lined up. Poss I can get a sprouted one from friend, also. I'm planting 2 apple trees this yr, also.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm lucky here - you can't kill a fig tree if you tried, lol. Not even sure of the variety I have, but seem to remember it's Brown Turkey. My tree is pretty darn big and some of the lower branches that have been laying on the ground have rooted. I need to go ahead and separate them and plant the new trees.

I love them fresh and dried. Hope I get a good crop this year, cuz last year was kinda wonky. Still got plenty, but not the over-abundant harvest from years past.

Last edited:

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Amazing...I went back and googled "chicago hardy fig". I checked out a bunch of sites and found heights from 8' to 30', although the most common height listed was 15' to 30'. I guess height will vary depending on so many factors...zone, local weather, pruning, soil conditions, sun exposure, "winterizing", in pot vs. in ground, etc. We'll have to compare notes as both our Chicago Hardys grow.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I don't buy anything that gets too big. I just don't have room for it.