Ham, 5 1/2 pounds for $9.40 How many meals?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I bought a ham on Tuesday and cooked it for supper on Wednesday for four people. I also served sweet potato cassarole,corn on the cob, fruit cake and cherry pie. On Thursday, we had ham again, with fried green tomatoes, mustard greens, cherry pie and grapefruit salad, for four people. Tonight, (for 3 people) I cooked bacon, fried eggs, homemade bread and hash browns with ham chunked up in them. So far, 3 meals and plenty of ham to go!

I will serve ham until there is nothing left but the bone, then I'll make ham-bone and beans. What are your suggestions for leftover ham?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
First off, :drool. Secondly I like scalloped potatoes w/ham. Potatoes and onions fried up w/ham chunks in them. Green eggs and ham. Ham and cheese sandwiches. Potato soup w/ham.

Mattemma

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am really liking beans soups with the ham in it. It is so good on these cold days with fresh bread.I was thinking of getting an extra ham after the holidays ( when it is marked way down)and salting it for later use in soups,or that scalloped potao dish!

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
When we buy a ham:

-ham dinner
-ham sandwiches
-ham pizza topping
-ham/cheese/egg quiche or ham/potato/egg double crust pie
-scalloped potatoes with ham
-ham slices with breakfast
-borscht or split pea soup from the bone/bits

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Tonight I fixed macaroni and cheese with chunks of ham in it. :drool

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
must be the season... we got a ham the other day also. we have had:

1. eggs, fried ham, toast, and oatmeal
2. hot ham and cheese sandwiches
3. ham, beans and cornbread
4. scaloped potatos with ham

and we are serving 4 people each meal.

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ham hash
Ham omelets
Cream of leek soup w/ ham
Ham clunked or strips in a salad
In the summer cut ham in strips and grill w/BBQ sauce and make a sandwich. Great with cowl slaw on top.
And all of the above! :drool

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I hacked on the ham bone and froze 2 packages of chopped ham to use later and tonight we had hambone and pinto beans. :drool We'll finish it up tomorrow night.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Between Thanksgiving and Easter I am often able to get Ham trimmings for $2.59/3 lbs. Since I am in the old south where country ham is traditional the cured ham doesnt even need refrigeration for storage. If you know what country ham is you know that a big old Ham used to take about 3 days of soaking to get the salt down to a reasonable level that was before spiral slicing. Now they spiral slice [some trimming required for the slicer} this allows the water to get throughout the ham so that an overnight soak is plenty. I leave the trimmings salty and soak them as I want them. I eat meat but not a lot, mostly for the flavor, my target is pound/day and sometimes I make my target! Any way country ham or Bacon is very rich in flavor and even the fat is flavorful any fat rendered from the trimmings can be used as a flavor agent. Scramble or fry eggs with the fat and you will think you have ham in there somewhere.
There is one company that sells trimmings from city ham/bacon which you might find in stores without an in-house butcher, still a decent buy but doesnt have the flavor. [city pork has the cure injected in and MUST be refrigerated] ~gd

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We ate the hambone and beans the night I fixed it, then the next night I made tacos. I fried whole corn tortillas and spooned beans on them, then sliced jalepenos topped with grated cheese. Popped them in the microwave until cheese melted. Yummy! :drool I still have 2 ziploc bags in the freezer for future meals, probably omlettes or chunked ham on top of a big salad.