Hello From New Zealand.

barefoothaven

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hello all, my name is Leonie.

My Husband and 2 youngest sons, and myself live on our property of 60 acres in the Far North of the North Island of New Zealand. Mostly bush land with about 8-9 in grazing so far. We've been here for 4 years now.
We have off-grid power from a water wheel and solar panels and use a wood stove to heat our water and home and to cook on/in. We also use a gas oven.
Just finishing the milking shed build ready for our house cow Pepper who is due to calve for the first time any day now. And this will be my first time milking. I have a portable milk machine on wheels.
We have established veg gardens, small orchard, chickens, pigs. We have 3 dogs and 1 cat.
Our goal is to raise enough beef, pigs, goats, chickens for meat etc and grow, preserve, store as much as we can to save money and learn to live on what we produce as much as possible.
I love anything to do with homesteading, off-grid living, anything like that. And much much more :)

I joined this forum to learn and share and learn some more from like minded people

Thank you :)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
:welcome We don't have many people coming from Aotearoa. W/being in the north of the North Island, are you able to garden year round?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Welcome to SS :frow Your farm sounds wonderful! Please share pics and stories of all your goings on over there. We love to share and learn from each other here :)

barefoothaven

Power Conserver
Reaction score
:welcome We don't have many people coming from Aotearoa. W/being in the north of the North Island, are you able to garden year round?

Hi Denim Deb... Yes, where we live up North allows us to garden all year round. We also have a small greenhouse that allows me to grow certain things through winter.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I've always been fascinated by NZ. It's one of the few places outside of the US I'd like to visit. I've read stories about sheep stations that have (or had) access by boat and/or air only and have wondered what it would be like to live on one.

barefoothaven

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I've always been fascinated by NZ. It's one of the few places outside of the US I'd like to visit. I've read stories about sheep stations that have (or had) access by boat and/or air only and have wondered what it would be like to live on one.
The South Island has some very remote & large sheep stations.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
My BIL lived in New Zealand for about 5 years, on the South island I believe. He told my DH he loved the country, people, climate, everything down there and would love to move back there. He is English and back living in England now.

Latest posts