help please kiddo has an infected chicken pox bilster

bornthrifty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
so we got the chicken pox and are trying to stay comfy and clean but one blister is almost as big as a dime, and is puss filled and the area around the blister is all red,

I am looking on line and all they tell you these days is how to get shots to prevent

and the dangers of infected wound

I can go to doctor but thought we should try some things first

so child bathed in epsom salt bath my thought was the soak would soften the skin and clean the wound

then I applied hydrogen peroxide on the wound and it really fizzed up but the puss filled sack is still intact and I really don't know if that is good or bad,

should I do a charcoal compress on it over night,

or do you have another idea

or doctor time?

thanks for your advice

bornthrifty

bornthrifty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
well, just in case it would help another I will share the progress
I bathed child in epsom salt bath
washed wound with hydrogen peroxide
and the dark red area seems to look less dark so it appears that things are going in the correct direction

I did peroxide again, just because I was nervous,
and later I put Lavender oil on essential oil high quality
again the redish area looks more pink and seems to have gotten smaller

called a nurse friend because the warnings are dire on line about if it gets infected

and she said it sounds like it is going in the right direction,and that I should keep it uncovered and let it do what it has to do over night"let it work " she said, and I will know in the am if it is really gross or good looking
gross would need follow up with doc

called a friend she said her book warns about green puss with chicken pox green is very bad and they want you to call a doctor

this puss I think started out looking green but after those things above it just looks pussy greyish white ish

not green

so, well, Lord willing it seems we are on the right track now

ahhhh

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Scary going against the status quo, isn't it? especially when it's your child. It sounds like you've got the infection on the run though.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Oh ouch, that sounds nasty! I think @Amiga may be able to advice. I asked her to look in here.

Amiga

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, I always hesitate to suggest whether it is time to see the doctor - - especially since I am not right there. I think you are approaching this in the right way, and a nurse's advice is quite valuable - I feel that most nurses have seen more than many doctors.

Are you dealing with a pustule or an ulcer? They may look similar at times - I had a bug bite - probably tick - three years ago and it cratered and had grayish gunk in the middle. I had thought it was a spider bite, since this was a new thing for me. Tried all sorts of things. Went to a dermatologist and he gave the same advice about letting it breathe.

This year I have another ulcer, likely a tick bite, and this is what I have been doing: Shredded, smashed-up plantain leaves with a little bit of comfrey leaf, dock leaf, and jewelweed leaf. It may not have been the best thing, but for about a week I put the poultice on at night under a sterile pad, wrapped my leg with vet wrap to keep it on. It seemed to help the skin around the ulcer but not the ulcer itself. That center part responded to Epsom salt compresses, half an hour to an hour, twice a day. I also dabbed just a little triple antibiotic in the center a couple of times.

Your idea about the charcoal is another good one. It is said to absorb toxins, and it does no harm to my knowledge. And I also would stick with Epsom salt - a compress a few times a day if possible, in addition to having it in the bath.

How about nutrition? The Cleveland Clinic has a decent page about nutrition for wound healing that may offer you some ideas. If you are not vegetarian, then bone broth may offer a boost, and this time of year some colorful berries, perhaps in a smoothie, could cheer the patient up as well as provide some very useful nutrients and vitamins.

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/healt...tion_guidelines_to_improve_wound_healing.aspx

bornthrifty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Amiga thanks so much, I think we are going the right direction, for sure the redness is much much lighter now, and much smaller, but I will still continue with the things you listed to knock it completely out,

you are so kind, thank you for your time!!!

Amiga

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Had no kids of our own, but between us, (siblings on both sides) we have 54 nieces, nephews, grands and great-grands. And have had a hand raising a good number of them. Tears at my heart for any of them to hurt or be ill. So, sending love and prayers. Keep up the good work!

bornthrifty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Amiga you have a lovely heart, how lucky your nieces, nephews, grands an great -grands are!

if you have a minute might I ask you how to tell if it is an ulcer

the skin color is now pinkish (before it was dark red and painful all around) for about a half inch or so, around the center area that I thought was puss, but now I wonder, as it hasn't let loose and it seems sort of grey whitish, this area is about the size of a dime, it was a large chicken pox that I now see was an area that had been wounded right before the pox, she had fallen off of her bike and had a good scrape there and that is where the first pox came and they were larger than other on her body

there is no pain on the pink area, when I press down around it,the skin doesn't seem to be any warmer around the wound then any where else, but I am sort of scared of this pussy looking sack , it lies flat, and doesn't seem to be growing or reducing in size

I can be patient if I need to or could certainly go to the doc if I need to, it is looking so much better generally that I just feel impatient about the middle area...her spirits are good, she had a better appetite today the other pox are starting to fade, and she actually played with toys today rather than just sitting on the couch and watching movies like we had been...

I gave her another epsom salt bath to soak the wound, and to give good rinse to the charcoal compress that she had on for a good part of the day, I did hydrogen peroxide, but that middle section just sits there I guess I wanted it to fizz...I am using a little lavender oil and intend to charcoal again for the night

any thoughts would be appreciated thanks

ps I appreciate that it is difficult to give an opinion when not in person seeing it, I wont hold you accountable or anything just wondering what your get says and if you think it could be an ulcer I assume we should go see doc tomorrow about it...?

thanks

Born thrifty

Amiga

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well at the risk of causing someone reading this to get the vapors, could you take a photo of just the problem area and upload it? Or, to preserve the faint of heart, I could find a link to a photo of an ulcer like I have. Maybe a link would be better, then no one would be blind-sided by a graphic photo.

Let me see what I can find.

Well. Remind me never to go looking for photo's of skin ulcers right before bedtime. Shudder. Shew.

This article has just a couple of photo's that are not ghastly - but they do show a small skin ulcer. Now, the one I had three years ago did have a grayish center.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/...tor-arachnophobia/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

And here is a link for a poster that hangs in a dermatologist's office that I recently visited. On the upper right hand side it shows how deep a skin ulcer can get - they are not always just at the surface of the skin.

http://www.medicprint.com/product-the-skin-and-common-disorders-chart-poster-laminated_58973.aspx

I clicked on the poster image and then (I use a Mac) did Command + to enlarge it even more.

Last edited:

bornthrifty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
love your post, but I am laughing because I seriously am not computer smart...so I think I can, I will go get the camera and take a photo and then see if one of my kids can figure out how to put it on here, lol it might take a few minutes...: )