Hi, I'm Tuco from Omaha Nebraska

Tuco

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hello, I'd just like to introduce myself. I'm Tuco from Omaha Nebraska. I'm pretty new to the whole “self-sufficiency/self sustainable” concept and way of life. Obviously I've known about alternative energy (solar, wind, etc), but I never really thought about it much. I'm a city boy and I'd never owned a home of my own, so, creating my own energy (and growing/raising my own food) was something that I never thought about. I'd never done much gardening besides growing a couple tomato plants in the back yard. Then, when watching TV, I discovered what I later found out was called permaculture. I was intrigued! I started researching it, which led me to many other related subjects; hugelkultur, rainwater collection, gray water systems, companion planting, alternative energy etc. Then I started researching, beekeeping, rabbits, chickens, ducks, catfish, etc. I was discovering the self-sufficient lifestyle. It all just seemed to make so much sense! Growing/raising most of your own food, providing most of your own energy via solar, wind, and other methods. Ever since I've discovered this, I've submerged myself in studying/researching the subject. Like I said, I'm a city boy and I really do enjoy much of the city lifestyle (I'm a musician and a music fanatic, so I can't do without all the concerts that a larger city provides, plus a “scene” where I can hold concerts of my own) so, what I really want to do is an urban homestead, implementing much of what I've learned.

I'm not a “save the planet” kind of guy, I just really like the idea of having more freedom. Relieving myself of some of the shackles that bind me, if you will. Reducing my dependency on (high priced) utilities, groceries, etc
A bit about me: I have a 17yo son, but he lives with his mom in Lincoln. Like I already mentioned, I'm a musician. I've played in bands since 1986 (metal and punk, so you probably won't like them, hehe). I like riding motorcycles (I've got 4). I build custom vintage rat-rod bicycles. Up until recently I owned my own antique/retro store. I was an over-the-road truck driver for several years before that and have been to every state except Alaska and Hawaii. I'm a Philadelphia Eagles fan (so that also means I am required to hate the Dallas Cowboys, lol). I love playing Scrabble and Risk. And....I guess that's enough about me for now.

I'm looking forward to participating in this forum and “meeting” you, and I'm looking forward to all the knowledge I'll get from you, and, hopefully, I'll be able to pass on some of my own.
Cheers,
Tuco

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Welcome from Texas! Hopefully, you can share some of your knowledge and glean a little from the forum also.

p.s. Don't tell anybody, but I'm not a Cowboys fan either, lol!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
:welcome If you're an Eagles fan, and want everything that the city has to offer, why not move closer to Philly? You could then have the best of both worlds-that is providing you can find land at a reasonable price.

What kind of bikes do you have? I have a Buell Blast, and have had it since 2008.

Tuco

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Wow! This is exciting! I guess I just earned a bunch of throphies! haha! :celebrate
Hello Earth Mother and Deb!
What kind of bikes do you have? I have a Buell Blast, and have had it since 2008.

I have 2 1975 Harley sportsters, a 1972 Yamaha XS650, and a 1981 Yamaha XS650. I got my first bike (72 Yamaha XS650 named Boneshaker) in about 2000. I'm an "art car" artist, so I soon started customizing it. I covered the tank and fenders with pennies. Added a coffin sidecar (yes, a coffin which I built myself). All the lights are skulls. And it has a suicide shift with a foot clutch. I'd shown it in artcar shows and bike rallys, etc. But, eventually, I blew the motor. So, I bought the 81 Yamaha to swap all the parts over onto it (which I never got around to). Then, I came across the first 75 Harley. It was an incomplete project, but it was nearly done. I intended on finishing it myself...but...I came across the other 75 Harley that was a complete running chopper. It was too good of a deal to pass up, so, needless to say, the other bikes got put on the back burner.

ps, I don't think I'll be moving to Philly, I'm too deeply rooted here in Omaha. I have a 17yo son who lives in nearby Lincoln Nebraska with his mom, plus I have my band, friends, etc. I've been to Philadelphia while driving a truck. In fact, one of my deliveries was only a couple blocks from the Eagle's stadium. I went to the gift shop there, but have yet to see an Eagles game on the home turf. Someday!

Tuco

Power Conserver
Reaction score
by the way, don't get me started on bikes, or else this ^ will happen. Hehe!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I grew up on dirt bikes - at one time we had a Honda mini-trail 50, a Yamaha 60, a Honda 90, a Yamaha 125, a Kawasaki 350 and a Honda Goldwing. (I think I named them right - but I might dis-remember some of 'em, lol) Anyway, that was a whole lot of decades ago - when I was a child and teen. Had a blast on 'em back then.

My DH has a BMW R1100 RT. It's nice, but I let that be 'his' thing. I stick with my 4 wheels and air-conditioned transportation these days. Well, except for my tractor! I claim it as my 4-wheeler!

Sorry about bringing up bikes again.... o_O

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
My first bike was a Honda XR80.

Since you've never been to an Eagles game, maybe I shouldn't tell you that hubby and DD went to the Eagles' game last Sunday. Their seats were on the 45 yard line on the opposing side 16 seats up.

Tuco

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Sorry about bringing up bikes again.... o_O

haha! No problem! It's funny, I taught myself how to ride many years before I ever had a bike. My roommate had a Honda Rebel 250. I wanted to go pick up my girlfriend but had no ride, so I asked him if I could borrow his bike. He asked "you know how to ride, don't you?" I assured him I did (which of course wasn't true). He let me take it. I rode it around the corner in first gear...then taught myself how to work the controls...and off I went across town. And to top it off, I through my gf on the back and headed back home.

My first bike was a Honda XR80.
Since you've never been to an Eagles game, maybe I shouldn't tell you that hubby and DD went to the Eagles' game last Sunday. Their seats were on the 45 yard line on the opposing side 16 seats up.

Doh! They had great seats! Often, because I live in Nebraska, I don't get to see the games due to regional coverage instead (KC, St Louis, Minnesota, Denver). this game wasn't on TV for me. :( But, at least it was a win. I think tomorrows game is on TV. I hear they're wearing all black uniforms for this game.

Smart Red

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Welcome, @Tuco! You can go a long way toward self-sufficiency with a vacant lot or large yard in the city. You don't need a lot of acreage to reap the rewards of gardening, canning, enriching your spot on the Earth. Stop by often and we'll chat about doing big things in small spaces.

Tuco

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Welcome, @Tuco! You can go a long way toward self-sufficiency with a vacant lot or large yard in the city. You don't need a lot of acreage to reap the rewards of gardening, canning, enriching your spot on the Earth. Stop by often and we'll chat about doing big things in small spaces.

Yeah, I've seem some great "urban homesteads" on Youtube, etc! I can't wait to get started myself, but it will still be awhile before I can. But, until then, I'm diving head first into reasearching and learning as much as possible. Getting ideas of what I'd like to do, what is practical for me to do, what is impractical to do, etc.