Hopping John

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hopping John is traditionally cooked for hours using dried black eyed peas and smoked ham hocks. This is a quickie weekday version using canned beans; the bacon supplies some of the smoky taste you would get from the long cooking with ham hocks.

INGREDIENTS
2 cup long-grain white rice (or 4 cups grated raw cauliflower)
4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
4 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 pound thick cut bacon, thinly sliced
1 medium onion, diced
1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
½ green bell pepper, chopped
3 ribs celery
1 jalapeno or Serrano pepper, minced
2 tsp Cajun or Creole seasoning
¾ tsp ground cumin
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
1 can diced tomatoes, preferable with chile peppers
2 15-ounce cans black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained

1. Combine the rice and broth in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and then reduce to medium-low, cover and simmer until the rice has absorbed the liquid, 15-20 minutes. (If you are using cauliflower "rice", skip this step)

2. Meanwhile, prep the remaining ingredients. Heat the oil in a medium sauté pan over medium heat. Stir in the bacon and cook until it's crispy, 5-7 minutes. Stir in the onion, peppers, & celery and cook until it's soft, 3-5 minutes.

3. Add the thyme, cumin & Cajun seasoning and 1/2 cup water and bring to a simmer. Add the peas and tomatoes, simmer until the peas are very tender and the water is almost gone.

4. When both the rice and peas are done, pour the peas into the saucepan with the rice and stir to combine.

This is especially good with cornbread!

WendyJ

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I though Hopping John usually had collards, or is it a regional thing? We made it using a smoked turkey drumstick, cheaper than ham hocks but just as tasty!

Lawana

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I have most of the stuff! I love Hoppin' John but haven't had it lately.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I always saw collards as a side dish, but I can imagine how tasty it would be in the dish as well, @WendyJ. I would think the smoked turkey would be good too- just about any smoked meat would work.