How much garden for one? (greenhouse)

Syrphid

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
If I'm using a greenhouse to grow year-round, how many square feet of garden would I need to feed myself?
Keep in mind I'll be using a greenhouse, so try to be as space-conscious as possible.
extras will be canned, keep in mind meat will still be maybe 1/3 of my diet. I'm assuming I'll be eating at least 1,000 pounds of greens/fruit per year, if that helps any.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Just curious, why are you using a greenhouse to grow year round?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I used to live in town on a small lot. I gardened in 8 beds 4' wide by 8' long. I produced much of the food my husband and I ate. Hope that helps.

Syrphid

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Just curious, why are you using a greenhouse to grow year round?

I'm toying with the idea of putting a greenhouse on a houseboat and traveling the southern coast/waterways. Complete with rain collection, solar, even a chicken-coop (hopefully there aren't any laws against this)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
That sounds really interesting!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Sure does, but if you are in the southern coastways, I'm doubting you'll need a greenhouse. Just plenty of receptacles for doing container gardening.

Syrphid

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Sure does, but if you are in the southern coastways, I'm doubting you'll need a greenhouse. Just plenty of receptacles for doing container gardening.

I'm thinking I'd need a yearly yield of about 1,000 pounds of produce, and yes mini, southern USA, maybe even on the bayou

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I agree with Beekissed- if you are in the southern climes, you may find that a greenhouse ends up "cooking" your plants. I would recommend using containers and maybe cover them with cloches or something similar for cold weather. An added bonus of using containers is that you can add or subtract them as you discover how much you actually need.

CJ1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My dad worked offshore for a few years down that way. And contrary to popular belief it can and does get pretty cold. Though if you choose your crops right you could do without the greenhouse. But if you want to do things like corn and what not you might need one.

All this said you will need to consider the boats variable deck load. Dirt gets heavy when it gets wet. So depending on what you're gonna be on you may need to cut weight in other areas like creature comforts.