How much toilet paper should we be putting in our long term storage?

CountryKat

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
:ep With all the prepping I just dont want to forget about ...well you know...that important kind of prep. How have you all calculated how much for a year for one person. Also, how do you store it. I was thinking about putting rolls in the luggage size space bags (vaccumed sealed) then for double protection in the same size ziplock bags. Any thoughts or tips would be greatly appreciated.

CK

mississippifarmboy

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I don't know know how much toilet paper a person SHOULD put back, but take it from someone raised very country..... (as in no electricity or running water until I left home) you can never have enough.

I'll admit I don't have over a month's supply put back right now, but I really need to fill a corner somewhere with it.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't know either, but now you've got me thinking about it. I guess I'll start paying attention to how many rolls are used per week and go from there. It is a space hog, but even in the worst of circumstances - I think this is one commodity that is worth it! :lol:

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Most recommendations I have seen suggest storing 1 roll per person per week. I think we use less, but I'm sure it varies by family :)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
In a true emergency who says you'll have trash pick up or sufficient water to flush? I'm going cloth in emergency situation. Washable, reusable, cloth, all the way. Takes a boatload less space too. Just sayin..

CountryKat

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
:D Thanks everyone. I really appreciate your thoughts.

CK

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Good Morning,
This subject is one that attracts a lot of attention, usually at moments of levity but in your current planning scenario, it is obviously a great concern. As others have said, it is a space hog. You mentioned putting it in Vacuum space bags and that will allow a lot less space to be taken up. Good idea.

Of course there may be the consideration of the desecration of clean water for this particular task. Generations from now will curse us for soiling clean water. We generate plenty of gray water that can become black water with much less moral concern.

In some of the underdeveloped countries, folks use sponges. They are re-usable, can be cleaned easily and require some care with hygiene after use. Hopefully one's diet will be such that the "last act" will require very little use of TP as such. More fibre in the diet increases the "bulk" and will make the chore somewhat less daunting. I was once told by a lady physician that her father instructed her on the specifics of TP consumption as follows,"6 sheets per visit". I found that to be interesting. Of course, there are those whose aversion to the specific substance being removed who use more than 6 per application. A fact that may alter your planning a bit. Good education however, will assist you in the careful planning for this ever so important commodity.

At times of more demanding hygiene care, a sponge seems to be the easiest and requires very little storage space. Americans in general are very fond of the "paper" approach but it can be difficult to manage since consumption rates tend to vary with a number of specifics, gender, age, infirmity, etc. In my estimation, a bit of soap and water first will eliminate the need for massive amounts of paper.

In some countries, water is used with the aid of the left hand and no paper whatsoever. In places where no piped in water is available, a pitcher strategically placed is used with the right hand pouring the water and the left hand performing the task. This is "the way it is" in countries I have visited such as UAE, and other Arabic nations.

Each of us has a preference so I thought I would at least offer some alternatives to the subject if storage space and conditions are at a premium. Storing food or other survival necessities in the same location otherwise dedicated for TP storage may seem more prudent.
YMMV
Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni
Trim sends
//BT//

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Re-usable choices are definitely a good idea, and I've personally been a long-time user of cloth for various purposes (diapers, wipes, feminine pads) but there may always be reasons to have a more "disposable" option available for certain things.

Because even re-usables require water so they can be cleaned and re-used, and the use of "toilet paper" (or in the old days the Sears catalog, mullein leaves, moss etc.) has been going on for longer than there have been "flushable" toilets. In an emergency situation where clean water is at a premium, the last thing people will want to deal with/waste water on will be cleaning personal sponges or cloths. The potential for germ transfer is too great when water for hygiene is at a premium.

That's not to say that I'm storing toilet paper either ;) I've been a backwoods camper/hiker for more than half my life and I know how to deal with my "issues" where there is no bathroom.

Candy

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
In a true emergency who says you'll have trash pick up or sufficient water to flush? I'm going cloth in emergency situation. Washable, reusable, cloth, all the way. Takes a boatload less space too. Just sayin..
Yes, just purchase a stash of color coded wash clothes for everyone.. and make sure you have enough bleaching agent or disinfectant for when washing to last a while. Pool shock stores well and will keep longer than chlorox

Candy

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
moolie said:
(or in the old days the Sears catalog, mullein leaves, moss etc.) has been going on for longer than there have been "flushable" toilets. .
Oh, thanks for that. We have lots of mullein... hadn't though of it.