HSA's

CJ1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
With the rise in the cost of healthcare and the debacle over insurance I figured I'd talk a little about health savings accounts.

These are nifty little ways (at least in the states) where you can put more taxed money into an account that you can later use for medical purposes.

Something a lot of folks don't know is many doctors optometrists and dentists will actually give you a lower rate if you're paying cash (sometimes it takes a little negotiating) because they actually loose money having to deal with insurance companies and what with the hiring of billing staff. So if you deal with one of those small town doctors you can save money by using funds you put into your HSA.

I don't pretend to have all the information on these things. But you can use it to cover everything from copays on doctor visits that are otherwise covered by insurance. To getting glasses or checkups.

Many employers offer them now a days as a way of limiting their costs for insuring employees without stuffing them on coverage. But you can do it yourself as well.

They are also good ways to put money away for coverage for when you retire.

I can't think of everything off the top of my head. So if any of you have questions about them then post it and I'll try to explain. Or ya can get to googling.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We are looking at insurance for my husband right now, since his work coverage ends in June. So far, all the policies I've found aren't eligible for HSA.

CJ1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'll have to look. But I thought there were HSAs that you could sign up for yourself.

Or maybe you 'm only sign up for them if you have a high deductible policy. Which are common for self insurers.

Latest posts