I Think I Have A Mayhaw!!!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Early this spring, I saw a tree blooming in the wild tangle in the sheep pasture. I use the term pasture loosely, because there was only about a 10' strip of grass down the side. This past week, we have been hacking out green briars and even got the tractor through in two places. We have hauled 5 pickup loads of briar vines out of the "pasture". I can now get close to the tree that was blooming earlier this spring. I saw little clumps of green berries hanging on the branches and got excited! I took pictures and looked up Mayhaws on the internet and I am almost 100% certain I have a Mayhaw tree!

The poor tree is choked with green briar vines. These vines grow straight up into the lowest branches, wrap around them and head for the tops where they rob the sunlight from the tree. We have been cutting them off at the ground and pulling the vines out. We will wait for the fruit to ripen and cut the vines out afterward. There isn't a lot of fruit on the tree, but a lot of cleaning out the briars and a good layer of compost and some TLC ought to sure make a difference for next year.

img_0851-jpg.13745

img_0850-jpg.13746

Reactions: CJ1

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Another good reason to get those briar vines out!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I'm not familiar w/mayhaws, they don't grow around here. Is there someplace you can get it IDed for sure? I looked up mayhaws and it showed the fruit being singular on the branch, not in a cluster at the end.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Male? Yep, does look like a bloke to me ;) lol

Do you recognise your one from the pics @baymule?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm sure that the tree I have is a wild mayhaw, not a cultivated variety. I am excited to have it, it's been years since I made mayhaw jelly.

We burnt briar vines this morning. We loaded up 3 pickup loads yesterday and put on the burn pile, plus 2 loads of oak branches. Just as they burned down, it started to rain and it stormed. Just in time!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Woohoo! Glad you beat the rain. Right now I'd like to beat the rain too - with a BIG OL' STICK!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What do they taste like?

Well, any "free" fruit tree is good. I just put out a fig and am looking at 2 apple trees. Ain't free. :p I'm transplanting a grape vine -- unknown what kind as it was a volunteer from when I was eating grapes and feeding chickens from back porch. It was up good last yr and my goats got out and ate it....an acre of yard! they get the one little grapevine...but, this year it has thrown out nice stems, so will be moved.

Congrats on a lucky find.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Free or not, fruit trees are wonderful things to have around! I'm looking at buying some when I have my own place one day… One day! Doesn't matter how much they cost, they'll repay me in time :)