Indoor Herbs and Vegetables

Ros

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I've tried growing herbs indoors during the winter the past few years and not had a lot of luck. Last year, they almost made it to spring. I think the main reason is that it gets too dry during the winter. I plan to try and fix that this year with a humidifier and maybe some ferns.

I also would really like to try growing some vegetables in the winter, but I have no idea what to try.

Any suggestions for keeping herbs alive during the winter, and some good small vegetable plants that might survive?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We bought an old coffee table and built a lip around it and sealed everything with silicone, then filled it with pea gravel and put the plants on the gravel. The water that ran through the pots would add humidity to the air around the pots. It worked really well; unfortunately we don't have room for that in this house.

WendyJ

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Not quite veggies, but sprouts nights might work to at least have something green and fresh to eat. I tried a variety last winter as part of my "getting ready for the zombies" learning list. Mung beans were probably my favourite.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sprouts are super easy. I cut screens out of a splatter guard to go on small mason jars. Just use a lid as a pattern. Rings hold them on. I use wide mouth half pints.

Soak seeds for several hours then I rinse and drain about four times a day.