Introduction

Tirtzah

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hi Everyone:

My husband and I have bee married 12 years now this past June and 2 years ago, we finally purchased our Doublewide, on 3 acres, outside city limits! We jumped in like we knew what we were doing that first year and fell flat on our xxx......LOL Found out we need more than just pure desire, dreams and a few acres! LOL So we have been, well I have been doing a lot of researching and reading up on lots of things and we now have a sort of "plan", and "projects" that we are working on to get ready first with what we are going to need, before jumping in the 2nd time, this time!

We know for sure we DO want chickens, both layers and meat, with all the layers being "dual purpose" for when they stop laying. We now know which breeds you choose matters and we even have a portable run for them and their chicken coop/house is near finished. Just need to finish framing out the people door and get it hung, as well as making the door for the chickens. I think hubby still has to build the nesting boxes too? He built them a "mansion"! Size is like near 8 ft. tall for storing feed, etc., up in the attic loft space. Dimensions are 4' deep by 8' wide! We figured they'd want room to walk around inside on cold and rainy days. Plus, we may let one or 2 hens brood their own young to hatch sometimes? But even if we choose to use an incubator, once hatched, the chicks will be in the coop in a brooding box with a heat lamp overhead for about a month taking up floor space in there. (Gosh, hope we built it large enough, now that I think about it)???

This has been our dream, to live out in the country, raise our own meat and grow our own veggies and fruit trees! The only thing is, neither one of us has any experience! Just heart! LOL So you might say we are just a couple of greenhorns!al

We want to build a greenhouse, (heated/fans), for this year's garden, along the order of a "high tunnel" look, using pvc piping, and a bunch of work tables about 30" high, upon which we will then build our 4' x 4' raised garden beds. We are going to then have a dump truck load delivered of a 5 to 1 mixture of top soil and compost, to place within each of our raised garden beds. Then, for the first year or two at least, I am going to order heirloom seeds from an organic seed catalogue company.
We will be starting those seeds indoors for most things, probably beginning in February.

Our greenhouse will be designed where we can completely remove the mil plastic once all danger of frost is past and the days get warm. The soil should be warm enough to plant in since it will be broken in smaller beds, while being inside the greenhouse under the plastic covering. We won't need to use the heat in there for very long after we transplant what all we began indoors from seed, I wouldn't think?
Had a question about the heating for in the greenhouse to ask you all what your thoughts on it would be. Was thinking about how we could heat for free, using wood fires around in there? Just like they do for the orange and peach trees once they have flowered or begun to fruit and a late, unexpected overnight freeze hits them! They usually go round up all the smudge pots, lighting them up and down between the rows. However, we don't have any smudge pots and all that oil to purchase and keep on hand can get expensive! So couldn't we do something similar only using little fire pits between the rows?

Also, there is my husband and myself and a family lifelong friend who is helping us with projects galore! So for 3 people and to also have enough left over to take to a weekly farmers market and sell........How large of a greenhouse do you think we would need to build? And how many of these 4' x 4' raised beds do you think we would need to make up and have built and ready to go???

Along with those actual measurements.....counting #'s of each of the various
plants.......how many pounds of white potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, beets, and cabbage do you think I would need to last out the winter??? I was guessing at maybe 100#'s of each???.....So to end up with that amount of harvest yield for each of those crops.....how many seed potato pieces would I need of each type of potato? On my white potatoes, I want to be able to store about 30#'s of large russet baking potatoes and the other 50#'s of regular potatoes for boiling, fries, and cheese augratin potatoes, along with about 20#'s of small new potatoes for making some good old fashioned potato soup on those chilly Fall and Winter days! (YUM)! As well as some for making good old New England Boiled Dinner, (with the boiled cabbage, carrots, potatoes and of course corned beef)!....Geeez, we just ate supper not all that long ago and I am making myself hungry already! LOL

In addition to the chickens and the gardening questions........we also wanted to get some goats or sheep, not just for meat and making cheese, etc., but we also want them to eat all this over grown brush that is lined about 10' deep and extending about 450' beginning at the road at the very front of our property and going the entire length of our property all the way to the very back border! The brush does have a little tiny bit of some poison oak/ivy and or sumac occasionally in some parts of it. However, mainly what is growing there are those prickly, thorny, red berry bushes. Oh shoot, what's the name of those berries??? I'm drawing a total blank! They are a great source of Vitamin C if you are stranded out in the woods with no food. But you can only boil them down to make a tea, because it is what they use to make "itching powder" out of and it would totally do a number on your throat of you tried to just eat the berries! Is that "Elderberries", I'm trying to think of???

Well anyway, those things, some tall lemon grass, some various ferns, as well as loads of honeysuckle galore!!! So what I am wanting to know is if I had a couple of goats or sheep and turned them loose over there in all that thick brush.....with me not knowing what else might be growing amongst all of that thick brush....will they be safe? Would they know not to eat something that might be growing in there that I'm not aware of that might be poisonous to them, would they know not to eat any of it???

OK...........see? Told you I am pretty much a "Greenhorn" when it comes to living a self-sufficient life style! Hope you all don't get too tired of all the questions? But I sure am appreciative of you all being here and being open to those of us who at least want to try to become self-sufficient, living off the land! We love people! We just are against all the rhetoric, paperwork, continual appointments every time you turn around! "And you fill out a box online with your name and phone # to get an insurance quote and 50 times an hour, over the next 4 hours, your phone rings, so they can give you this promised "click here for your online quote".....quote! Only its' over the dad gim phone, instead!!! Heck, the phone even rings while you are talking on it because we didn't want to miss a call so we invented "call waiting"! So now you are trying to listen and there is this obnoxious horn that foes off in your ear 5 or 6 x and you have to keep asking them what the person said last to you while that horn is going off that is supposed to just be a little beep so you know to check who called and call them back next!.....LOL Our entire life's dependence upon the "Big Business" Major Corporate America dependency upon them to supply even the most basic of our life needs for electricity to keep warm, and dependence upon them to have clean water to drink, cook with and shower in. As well as just to have them take natural waste away and treat so that we don't all end up with the black plague again or something! When it is such a waste! It makes great compost material for growing healthy vegetables!!!

Well I am very glad to get away from it, even just a little bit!!! And I am very glad I found this forum here and hope that we can become self-sufficient out here and stop depending on corporate America, and Big Business, just to supply our basic of all human needs!!! Hope to hear from some of you all soon!

Thanks for letting me vent just a little bit too......LOL
Tirtzah

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Welcome to SS :frow Your coop and plans sound wonderful!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
:welcome Can't answer all your questions. But, for the shrubs and goats, they'll normally leave alone the stuff that is poisonous. W/out seeing your bushes, I can't say for sure what they are, but they're not elderberry. They have no thorns. If you could post some pics, and give me a general idea of your location, I may be able to ID them for you.

For the pics, I'd need to see what the leaves look like, the branching pattern, the berries and, if you have any pics, the flowers. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking it might be some type of rose.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Welcome from VA.

It's often hard to bridle the enthusiasm and you tend to over build. Been there, done that, often still do. ;) So, start slow and get one thing under control before you expand too far. You can always increase size but it is far harder to have to decrease and/or find you have more than you can maintain.

Don't know where you are but, if in a warmer climate, the greenhouse may be enough to keep the warmth adequate for many veggies. Even a second cloche on those inside starter beds may be enough. Instead of smudge pots, you can buy small heaters that run from propane-- look in the camping areas. If you have a lot of sun, maybe solar can be used to bank heat. Compost piles along outer sides of greenhouse can provide heat. Compost in starter beds, under the topsoil, help provide heat -- lasagna layering -- can help start seeds as it is warmer soil. Not everything works everywhere. Location is a huge consideration for growth & shelter.

Goats will normally taste & leave things bad for them. There are a few items that need attention as they are potent enough to cause problems without the taste factor. Cyanide poisoning from wild cherries come to mind (from the pits). They are great at cleaning up vines, undergrowth, low tree limbs. Will kill a tree if not careful -- they love bark from those, and defoliating will do it, too.

Chickens & gardens are good place to begin.

Wishing you every success. Keep us posted on your progress.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Welcome! It's so exciting to make plans isn't it? And so frustrating trying to find the answers to how much you need and so forth. A couple of things you didn't mention was about how old you are (energy requirements are high for this lifestyle; it's a lot more difficult if you are seniors and have been sedentary- ask me how I know, lol) and where you are located; that can make a huge difference in what sorts of challenges you'll have with your garden.

Here's an excellent plan for making some of those elevated garden table/beds you were talking about:
http://ana-white.com/2012/11/plans/counter-height-garden-boxes-2-feet-x-4-feet

as far as knowing how many of something to grow... that's a really hard question to answer because it depends on so many things such as how good your soil is, the weather, how well you control things like diseases, pests, and weeds. It also depends on your own tastes. I ran across a nice little list on the internet that told you how many of certain plants you needed per person:

Asparagus 4 plants per person
Snap beans 20 plants per person
Beets 20
Broccoli 3-4
Cabbage 3-4
Cucumber 1-2
Garlic 5
Leaf lettuce 5
Onion 15
Shell peas 20
Pepper 6-10
Potato 15
Pumpkin 3
Radish 10
Rhubarb 1
Spinach 20
Summer squash 1-2
Winter squash 3
Swiss chard 4
Tomato 3-5

Now see, I have a problem with this list because it says you only need 15 onions per person. Since each onion only grows one onion (unless you are growing something like a walking onion), that would be a pretty skimpy harvest for my family of 3; we use at least 1 onion almost every day. Then they suggest 1-2 summer squash per person, and for our family we would be drowning in zucchini if we planted that many (I never plant more than 2 plants for the entire family).

I would suggest that you just try planting some different vegetables and fruits and then keep a journal- how much you planted, what the weather was, rainfall, pests and diseases you found and finally how much you harvested. After you've done this for a few years, you will gradually gain the knowledge you need. By the way, it took the bean beetles 3 years to find my garden; some diseases and pests may not show up right away.

You have a learning curve ahead of you, but take heart; it's so satisfying to learn how to take care of yourself!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Welcome from northeast Texas! We finally escaped the city for the country life too. But even in the city, I had hens in the backyard and a garden in the front yard. Now I have so much ROOM!!!

I think it might be hard to heat your green house with a fire. Could you run an extension cord to it or wire it for electricity? I had a small greenhouse at our old house and I used a small electric heater.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
In the book "Four Season Gardening" the author doesn't heat his greenhouse, but he uses small hoop tunnels over the plants during risky temps; it gives a second layer of protection. You could also try the old way of making a hot bed: using fresh hot manure underneath; the heat from it decomposing can really help in a small area.

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
welcome from Arklahoma. i will look forward to watching your homestead grow.

Latest posts