Land near Atlanta, Ga

catfishhoward

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I live in Atlanta, Ga and getting close to my retirement. I would like to buy some land within a 3 hour drive to Atlanta since I will still need to come back to town once a month for business. I'm thinking of either South Georgia or North Georgia? I plan on having a double wide with utilities (septic, well, electric or public water) so I don't think it would be a problem finding land down south for a double wide, haven't looked into North Georgia yet. I plan on gardening, fishing, hunting and growing lots of berries and fruit trees. I thought it would be nice to move down south and maybe have some swamp land along with some dry land for the house and the garden. Thought I might be able to fish, crawfish duck hunt and hunt hog in the wetlands but someone told me that the wetlands might be protected in some way?? Could that be true say if you own 10 acres of wetland? I would also be close to the gulf which would allow me to catch salt water fish, crab and shrimp. I think I can still plant blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, apple trees and most other fruits I like in the south, just look to plants for zone 8-9. So I think there are more species of wild game in the south and a lot more opinions for me for producing food and having fun doing it and not getting bored doing the same thing all the time and I think land is cheaper also.

Since I'm a green horn to gardening and living off the land I'm not sure if there is any advantage or disadvantage of living in the North or South Georgia or even in Alabama or Tenseness. Any advise would really be appreciated since I have lots to learn.

Thanks,

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I guess you came to the right place.
Good luck with the search. Sounds like you are planning a retirement that will be full of adventure. If you don't dive into too much at once, I suppose you can pull some of that off nicely. I live a good bit further south than you plan on living. I have lots of planting options but you will have some I can't, due to it being too hot in my homeland. I can't do blueberries for instance or walnuts.
If you truly are a greenhorn, maybe you want to start off with obtaining some good all-purpose books on self-sufficiency and begin right where you are.....selecting land. Reader's Digest has a book called, "Back to Basics" and I believe the very first chapter is about that very subject.
From what I gather, you will need some protection from the cold, because you will see snow.....unlike me. So I would choose a piece of land that has either dense forests toward the northern boundary or at least a hill, to use as a wind block. Also, you want to think of a water source. Well water might be your cheapest option, but I hear that sometimes the power to pump the water is more costly than you might expect. Wander if there is a cheaper alternative. Personally, I am about to just catch rain water for my animals and greenhouse and might even go bigger for my family and just get a purifier.
I would visit the town and talk to the people before hand and maybe read their newspaper before making a decision. My parents wanted a camp away from home to visit and stay during hurricanes and although they did get something they liked, it is bordering a trailer park that is filled with thieves. If I had a big piece of property, in the sticks that I wanted to sell, I'd at least let a prospective buyer camp on it a few days. Maybe you can rent an RV and check out about 7 places and make a decision afterwards.
I would talk to the neighbors. They might not want you there, but what they tell you might be useful if you would decide to buy.
I understand getting a double wide and the ease of having contractors setting it up, especially now that I'm not exactly a spring chicken myself. But personally, if I were to start over, I'd pretend I want my parcel of land as a hunting camp, for a camper and then I'd probably hide shipping containers, under some earth....hidden and under the radar....completely illegal with a fake 'home' in more plain site. I just don't believe in all the legal red tape.
Well, good luck and happy hunting, fishing and farming and welcome to SS.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
:welcome And yes, wetlands of any size can be protected, so look into that carefully.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If you do decide to do the underground house like rhoda_bruce suggested and you have wetlands close by, make sure your water table isn't too high or you will run into problems there

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh.....if and when I go under, it will not so much be me sinking a packaging container so much as burying it above ground. I am well acquainted with wet lands. I can write a book on surviving in a swamp......hey, now there is an idea!!!

catfishhoward

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks, for the replies. I will look into the wetlands guidelines in south Georgia-Alabama and north Florida, I definitely don't want to buy 10 acres of wetlands If I can't use the land for any resources (hunting and fishing). I'll also will go on-line and look for books on living in a swamp area to see what resources can be found, I think I know most animals but have no idea about edible plants.

I really can't see any benefits for me to live in North Georgia so I will start doing research on places down south.

Good point rhoda_bruce about looking for good and honest neighbours, I definitely want good hard working people around me, neighbours you can trust and count on and even help each other in a bind. I'll spend some time in the area before buying a price of land.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Do it! I bet it would sell well.