k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Have had some interest in leather work for a while. Utility stuff, mostly. Covers for hatchets in my tool box, chisel rolls, a belt holster for a pliers/multitool, belts, etc.

Finally worked up to buying 2 "sides" of cow hide. To give you an idea of what I just did, think of a cow. Then imagine how much leather you'd need to make it a motorcycle jacket.

One side is 8-9 oz (8 x1/64" = 1/8") and the other is 2-4 oz. Figuring out what to buy was a project in itself.

So now, to avoid buying good black and brown belts (50 $ each) I've spent 300 $ on leather and another 100 $ on tools, dye, etc. I'm hoping to break even by making belts for everyone in the family. Had to use my lunch money, so I'll see if I can get the wife to reimburse me 20 $ for each belt I make.

Anyone else have experience working with leather?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My husband has fixed a lot of leather things but hasn't made anything from scratch. I'm sure he'd love to peek over my shoulder and see your creations if you share pictures with us!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I do admire mice leather work, but I never did any. Please take us along your journey with pictures!

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Most of my supplies have arrived. I made a belt over the weekend. It's anticlimactic... All the commotion of getting supplies and tools followed by normal pants-wearing with a belt that looks pretty much like my old belt. The difference is that it's full-grain leather instead of a low-grade split with a surface painted on (and flaking off). Otherwise, it's basically the same.

Next, I need a wallet. Like this, maybe:

http://www.instructables.com/id/The-Quest-for-the-Perfect-Wallet/

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That looks like a nice wallet. Where's the pictures of your belt?

Latest posts