Motivations

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Lately I've been thinking about how our personal motivation is often a distraction from the work of preparing for the future.

One thing I've noticed about the prep/survival community is that everyone like their own motivation. Often people introduce themselves with really specific reasons for starting to prepare for the future. Some of the reasons are bunk but it doesn't matter because that's what gets them off the couch!

I think, for the most part, motivations should be kept to ones self. (Not a secret, just not on your sleeve.) You may be motivated by fears of a dirty bomb and I may be inspired by drought and someone else by disease outbreak. Despite those huge differences, my preparations are similar to yours. The motivation is less important than results.

Talking others into your personal motivation doesn't seem to work, from what I've seen here and in other groups. The evangelism of personal fears and convictions are so deeply part of our experience that it's hard to convey it to anyone other than our children, and even that's a crap shoot. But often I see people change their preparation efforts based on what they learn from the prep/survival community.

There's relatively few people who are paying the premium for this insurance plan. The prep/survival community is small enough without further subdividing it.

My point here is that we should do the work of preparation and let each person have their own opinion about what's going to cause the end of the world-as-we-know-it.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's a good point. I think we all have/had different reasons to feel the need. But, prep is prep and being able to share ideas with a fairly like minded community is a positive!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have never considered myself to be a hard nosed prepper, maybe I should reconsider that. :lol: Whatever the motivation someone has, if it gets them to thinking about what to do should bad times hit, then it is a good thing.

My motivation used to be hurricanes. We moved. It is with empathy I watch people preparing right now for Hurricane Matthew bearing down on Florida and the southern east coast states. I can say from experience that a pan of brownies and box of cheap wine makes for great comfort food. :thumbsup

There are new members joining every week. If a post about preparing for a natural disaster, financial or political disaster or just a crap-shoot SHTF situation gets their attention and gets them to making preparations, we, as a community, then we have helped that person.

I have personally benefitted from the knowledge found on this forum. If it were not from the opinions and postings of other people, then I would not know some of the things I now know. Keep it to myself? Nah, I'm too much of a blabber fingers. :gig

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I wouldn't call myself a prepper either. I have no problem with people discussing their motivations, whether I agree or not. My personal motivations often are a little too political to mention here so I zip it! But I find it interesting to read about other peoples' reasons for doing what they do. I have gained perspective through reading such posts, in fact. The economy and money are not my main interest or worry, but reading the posts by @baymule on those subjects has given me things to consider I never would have thought of.

If I read something I don't agree with... Well then I take from it what applies to me and leave the rest.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ditto on the hurricanes! Now I also keep a stocked pantry for my kids to come shop in when they're short on cash, lol!

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Years ago, it seemed like there were more clashes of ideology. I remember one savage debate about inflation... the whole thing seems crazy to me now. So much energy wasted on a non-issue. Everyone involved sustained damage, socially, but no motivations were changed.

I guess I posted not to tell you want to do but to share my new perspective. Sort of the opposite, actually. Now that I'm thinking about it differently, I'm less bothered by motivations that I don't find compelling.

I've noticed that the most-cited reason for not preparing is a lack of fear. So maybe it's good to have a little fear, even if if's fear of an extremely unlikely obscure implausible scenario.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
In reading old threads on here I've seen some of that. Haven't experienced it since I've been here though!

I think you're right. If you're prepared for some really obscure and unlikely event, you're also prepared if something else hits.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Prepping is a good thing. While the apocalypse might not happen, what about getting laid off? Having a 6 to 12 month supply of food and supplies on hand would be a lifesaver.

Knowing that our country is at the brink of collapse, whether it does or not, at least won't leave you blind sided if our country does collapse. Knowing more than the average person on the street won't stop it from happening, but if it does, at least you won't be wandering around in a confused daze when the ATM is empty.

Arguing about what, when, why, is fruitless and silly. Sharing information and considering something that otherwise you might not have known, gives you options.

Maybe at one time, everybody squared off and butted heads over the difference of ideas, but I don't think anybody cares about any differences now. I believe the differences we bring to the table makes for a better discussion. Manners, politeness and consideration of others reigns supreme.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Baymule you are absolutely correct about manners and decency. We can learn from each other or fight with each other...