Megsmum

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hi

We live in Extremadura, Spain, and to use a well known USA phrase we are starting a homestead.

We have just over 2 acres and have lived here for a year. We are in the process of creating a defined area for chickens, ducks and some pygmy goats. Shortly we start to plant our newly created Vegetable Patch plus we are planting a fruit orchard.

We live off grid with solar for power and a borehole for water. Waste is through an organic drainage system.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Welcome from northeast Texas! I would love to hear more about your homestead! If you need help or have questions about your garden/fruit orchard, then click on www.theeasygarden.com sister site to this one, lots of gardeners there!

solar power and a borehole. Is a borehole the same as a well? I am impressed by anyone who lives off grid. We live on grid and pay handsomely for it.....

Megsmum

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
many thanks. We moved here from the UK almost a year ago. Yes a borehole is a well. It is a very deep well, we have another one which we use for the Land and Animals. We are really at the beginning of this adventure, and at the moment are finishing the stock fencing along with securing the vegetable garden. We have 2 dogs a Spanish Mastin and a Border Collie DSC_0262.JPG DSC_0374.JPG DSC_0300.JPG

Megsmum

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Thank you Britesea. At the moment no, our flocks arrive in July, so then she and Meg will be trained to work around the animals it will be a learning curve for us all. At the moment Zara (mastif) guards us, but to be honest,I am not convinced she could guard a bowl of cold soup.

This is her and Meg watching the gate. As you can see Meg is adopting her usual stance of "let me know when you need me!"DSC_0434.JPG DSC_0436.JPG DSC_0437.JPG

Solarbum

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Awesome. Can I see a pic of your solar setup?

Megsmum

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Awesome. Can I see a pic of your solar setup?

Of Course

• We have 12 x 2.4v batteries
  • A Charge Controller
  • An Invertor
  • 6 Solar Panels

DSC_0382.JPG DSC_0388.JPG

dont have a pic of the batteries but can get one if you want..... Ask away!

Latest posts