Putting up dry goods in canning jars

ki4got

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
ORChick said:
Marianne said:
:lol: Our are usually in the middle of the bed. Sometimes they're still alive and there will be three cats guarding one terrified mouse. Any live mouse goes back outside, AKA recycled mouse.

Back on topic, I have never heard of oven canning before. That seems like such a slick idea.

I was reading the entire thread last night when I was extremely tired...did anyone mention these do-dads? - http://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-T03-0023-01-Wide-Mouth-Jar-Sealer/dp/B00005TN7H
I have one of the vacuum sealers, for wide mouth jars. It is very practical, I find. I re-use (carefully removed) flat lids that have already done their primary job covering a canning jar. I probably use this feature of the Food Saver more than the vacuum bags. I used to keep nuts and coconut in the freezer (as they are so oily, and go off easily if kept for any time at room temp); sealing them in jars with this gadget means I am comfortable keeping them on the cool pantry shelf. Anything that you might want to keep in a jar, but that doesn't need heat canning, could be sealed up with this ... except fine powders - they get sucked out along with the air (ask me how I know ;)). And, as already noted, the gadget seals the lid to the jar, but then is removed, so you only need one (or two, if you want to seal up wide and regular jars)

ETA: And you can re-use the flat for as long as it is still good/not bent out of shape. Seal the jar, carefully open it, and re-seal until empty, and then re-fill and repeat. :D
anyone tried using the foodsaver handheld thingy with the jar sealer? wonder if it would get enough suck or just plain... well, suck.

R2D2

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I'd like to know the exact FoodSaver model number you folks are saying worked so well to vacuum seal your reg./wide mouth mason ball jars.I just returned a brand new FoodSaver to Cabela's that wouldn't work at all.I had 3 FoodSaver reps walk me through the process over the phone, still didn't work. Foodsaver even sent me brand new wide and reg. mouth vacuum attachments for free (although i told them the ones that just failed were brand new).Total joke IMO, thats why i'd like to know the model numbers of the FoodSavers those have that are doing such a fine job..!As well as when you bought it , as best you can remember...

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My foodsaver has to be over 10 years old. Or at least close to that. Its one of those small flat white ones. I found the attachment to seal the wide mouth jars at the good will last year. I just plug the little hose in and I'm good to go. :hu

I had a pic but its on my other computer.

g

333_img_3200.jpg