Putting Up Squash! And Blueberries!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I spent the afternoon in the kitchen today. Friday we took our grand daughters to pick blueberries. The 9 year old doesn't like them, but was very proud of herself for picking 3 pounds to take home. :thumbsup

img_0890-jpg.14231

The 16 month old loves blueberries and got busy picking. Green ones, red ones, purple ones---all went in her mouth. She ate out of my bucket and contributed red and green blueberries to the bucket. She had a large time. She finally got her fill and when I offered her more blueberries, she turned her head and said no. I'm pretty sure she ate some dirt with them. :lol:

img_0888-jpg.14230

My husband picked 4 pounds and I would up with 2 pounds. I washed them and put on cookie sheets and put them in the freezer. Today I vacuum sealed them in bags. Need to go pick some more.

And I had all that squash to do something with! (I picked 27 squash from the garden) I sliced it, shredded it, and froze it. I made cream corn from 20 ears of corn and mixed with the shredded squash for fritters.

I used my Mom's 1950 Salad Master grater. :love

img_0929-jpg.14225

Cream corn.

img_0930-jpg.14226

I put a cup of squash and a cup of cream corn in Ziploc bags and froze it. I got 13 bags. I sliced the squash and bagged the big slices, the necks went to the grater. Each vacuum sealed bag had from 16-24 slices of squash, depending on the size of the slices. I got 16 bags.

img_0928-jpg.14227

I fried fritters for supper. They didn't come apart this time.

1 cup shredded squash
1 cup cream corn
1 egg
1 cup flour
1/2 large onion, chopped
salt, pepper

I made patties and also did spoon drop. The spoon drop belched forth big popping grease splatters. Won't be doing that again!

img_0932-jpg.14228

And I made squash lasagna!

img_0931-jpg.14229

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
:drool Holy cow! You done good. I thought I was doing good to grab a few more little tomatoes, lol. I've got some sweet potatoes in tubs that I'm hoping will do something.... never planted them in a tub before so it's anybody's guess what will happen. Congrats on the great haul!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I go pick blueberries every year. I try to put up 20-30 pounds and we eat them all. I found a really nice place where U-pick price is $2.85 a pound, there is a country store where they sell jams, jellies and pastries. There are two covered areas with picnic tables to get out of the heat. And the blueberries are well taken care of, long rows of pickin' delight!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
http://www.blueberryhillfarms.com/

In Edom, Tx, only about 20 miles from us. I found this place last summer and got to go picking twice. I will go a lot more than that this summer! If you decide to come pick, I'll meet you there and buy your lunch at The Shed Café. :thumbsup

I picked blueberries at the same place in Livingston for over 20 years. It was way out in the middle of nowhere and was a help yourself honor stand. They had buckets and bags, scales, posted prices, scales and a mailbox to leave your money in. A couple of years ago, the old couple finally died and their son didn't want to mess with it.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wow - what an offer! I looked up The Shed Cafe' and it looks like one of those places you've just GOT to try! If my life weren't so crazy right now with all these critters and the new pup coming this weekend... and Father's Day soon... I need a clone!

I did score on blueberries from the local Kroger's. A pint for 1.50 - I bought ten. Half of them are in the freezer now. The other half will go in tonight - then I'll do what you did and vacuum pack.

Sale goes on for a week, so I'll be stocking up!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
OK, I think I've got this squash fritter recipe improved now!

2 cups shredded squash (I used yellow crookneck)
1 cup cornmeal
3/4 cup boiling water
1 egg
1/2 large onion, chopped fine
1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Salt, pepper to taste
Maybe 1/4 to 1/2 cup flour

In large bowl, pour boiling water over cornmeal, stir it. Add other ingredients, except flour. If mix is too "juicy" add 1/4 cup flour. Spoon drop small amounts in hot oil, smash flat. Turn and brown on both sides. Add more flour if needed. If your fritter goes to pieces in the oil, add more flour.