Raspberry problem

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My wife got an email from a friend living in our general area, about an hour's drive away. Same general region, but maybe slightly different specifics to how the heat and sunlight is in her garden, plus probably somewhat different varieties of raspberries - and she has a question. I'm putting it out to you folks. She writes:

had some odd ripening patterns on my raspberries. They have been ripening on one side of each berry, where they are exposed to the sun. On the other side they are definitely not ripe. As you both know, it has been ridiculously hot. The UV has been consistently high. Normally when one picks a raspberry, it comes off the centre with a tiny bit of resistance and is perfect. the side that is ripe wants to come off and the other side is resistant.

I presumed that the combination of the high UV and intense heat stress was the main factor in this. hence i made a serious commitment and put serious water onto the base of the raspberries every day x 2weeks.

She doesn't know if this will solve the problem, and neither do my wife and I (we're not seeing this with our berries). Anybody know, from experience?

Amiga

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I wish I had a ready answer for you, but I do have a few thoughts that I hope might help. I know it's been a week. I am up to my ears in projects, so I don't get on here much. Okay.

I think the water could help, because my feeling is that it could be a circulatory problem with the plants - that means the plant isn't moving material around its cells very effectively. Water could be the problem, and nutrients could also be lacking. For example, phosphorus is vital for healthy maturation of the plant and development of fruit.

Does she provide sources of phosphorus such as manure or bone meal?

Latest posts