Recommendations for Pressure Canners?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I'll be buying my first pressure canner soon. I'd like to hear how you like (or don't like) the canner you have, and why. Please share!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've had my All American canner for about 4 years now. This year the gauge read about 2 pounds off when it was tested (you should get a dial gauge tested at your extension office every year at the start of canning seasong) so I replaced it and the new one tested spot on. I like not having to deal with a rubber gasket also. But the All American is one of the pricier canners out there. My friend has a Presto that she picked up for about 1/3 the price of mine, and she's very happy with it.

I prefer dial gauges because I think they are more accurate, but they can get out-of-true with age or if you accidentally drop it. A weighted gauge stays accurate forever.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
hmmm.. I didn't think of Presto. That's tempting simply because they're relatively local to me. Made about 40 miles from here. But I'm willing to buy a more expensive canner if it will last longer!

wooddustmaker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Don't know if you got your canner or not. I have an All American, and love it. I also have 2 mirros, and they work just fine.

Having more than one will speed up your pressure canning a lot.

Any pressure canner is better than no pressure canner. That is just my opinion though.