Rocket stove experiment

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
We had a maintenance power out lasting most of the day last week Thursday, so DH started playing around with an alternative cooking method:

IMG_0184.jpg

3 Small logs provided enough heat to cook breakfast and the "stove" stayed quite hot for a few hours afterwards. This is definitely something I'm going to look into for my next home.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hey, that's cool! We are moving to a fully electric house out in the sticks, where I expect power outages, because that's what you get out in the sticks! We have a BBQ pit, but that "stove" looks easy and quicker to get to cooking heat. I wish we had a fire place in our new place, but oh well.

Sumi, I look at these little cottages you post in Ireland and wonder what it's like to live in such a tiny space. Here we are in 2500 Square feet of brick home, moving into 1500 square feet of double wide manufactured home. I have big furniture, lots of it and tons of other stuff that will not make the move with us. I will have to dump what I have and buy smaller.......... Ikea is calling my name........ I guess we'll have a whalloping big garage sale!

http://www.richsoil.com/rocket-stove-mass-heater.jsp

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
DH told me it took about 5 minutes to get the fire going hot enough to cook on. He fed it with reeds to keep it burning hot-hot. He said the only problem was the ash build-up in the pipe, apart from that it worked great.

@baymule thankfully I am moving with what I can squash into 3 suitcases only. so it won't matter too much if I buy a small cottage. The furniture will be bought there and very carefully. I have this vision of me running around the showroom floor with a tape measure!

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
... I have this vision of me running around the showroom floor with a tape measure!

Been there - done that. The doors to our house are only 32" wide - not the normal 36" of modern houses. Have to be careful what I buy so that it fits through the door. None of the windows are any larger, so none to pop out and slide stuff through ...

I have never even seen IKEA furniture (that I know of), let alone entered a store full of it.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@wyoDreamer it is a world wide store based in Sweden. The furniture is well made, scaled for smaller living and priced very reasonable. Google Ikea and your state for a location. I am going to buy an Ikea closet arrangement for the house we just bought and get rid of my triple dresser and big armoire. All I want is a bed, 2 nightstands and 2 lamps!

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/

@sumi get the measurements of furniture before you go shopping. Make paper patterns to size and place on the floor. "Arrange" the room and you will get a better idea of what will fit and what will not.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
and don't forget the space you need to walk around the furniture, etc. For instance, a dining set needs at least one foot more around the table and chairs, to be able to squeeze into the chairs and sit. I have known people that forgot things like that, or to allow space for a door to open wide enough to walk in comfortably.

Last edited:

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I will definitely check out the Ikea stores when I'm there. I just hope they send out the stuff pre-essembled. Last time we bought a bed the shop send it in about 6 pieces. The look on DH's face...

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Nope, my understanding is they send it out in boxes with instructions.
Tab A into Slot B ... wah, ha ha haaa

Smart Red

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Here abouts, IKEA is sold in the U.S., made in Scandinavia, and comes with instructions written in Asia. That makes putting things together a world of fun.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Instructions might be written in Asia, but pictures are universal!!! :lol::lol: