Rusty canning rings

buckeye lady

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Most of my canning rings are heavily rusted. They still do the job but they look bad. When do you toss them? Could I spray paint them?

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Try some sandpaper or steel wool to clean off the threads so they screw on easier.

ducks4you

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I guess I wouldn't keep heavily rusted rings--there are probably some that wouldn't use ANY with rust, but I don't mind a little. I guess I'd be afraid of flaking some of the rust in the food I was preserving.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I don't see any issue as long as they screw on/off without too much difficulty. The main problems are just a) aesthetic, and b) if they get too rusty they can be hard to get properly snug-but-not-overtightened, or can loosen the canning lid when you remove the ring the day after processing.

Personally I don't think there's any other health issues involved - the ring does not contact the food itself anywhere, and even if a wee flake of rust fell off into your jelly as you were opening the jar, I don't thnk it's gonna kill you ;)

Removed from the jars the day after canning, however, and washed/dried/stored properly, they will not rust for many many years, IME.

JMHO,

Pat

ScottSD

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It does sound like they were left on after canning. A lot of liquid stays in the threads and causing rust.

Like the guy with the grumpy avatar says, try steel wool.

buckeye lady

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
They had been removed after use. They were stored in the damp area of the basement. I didn't realize it was damp there.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I use steel wool, then after dry will oil them with vegetable oil and let set. The oil keeps the rust from returning. I can then wash immediately before using anytime I can. Just what I've always done.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
If you lived near me, I'd give you a bunch! Being a fairly new canner and a bit compulsive about it, I have a gazillion rings. I think they are breeding in my drawers. All shiny and new.

buckeye lady

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Next time I need lids I'll buy lids with rings and take better care of the rings.
Any craft ideas for rusty old canning rings?
If I can't find another use for them they will go to the scrap yard for recycling.