Rusty canning rings

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Learn something new every day! I didn't know you were supposed to take the lids off... makes perfect sense. I suppose now that they've been on there for 3 months, it wouldn't make a difference if I just left them on until I used the jar?

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Buckeye lady -- yup, I've had that too, bunch of stuff went into the basement in this house when we moved in and didn't really discover how damp some parts were for about a year and a half :p

The good thing is, you really do not need very many canning lids anyhow :) Pretty much just enough for the max # jars you might can in 1-2 consecutive days, in each size. (Unless you want some extras for gift-giving, or for if you store some canned goods where kids or very rambunctious pets might get to prying at 'em or bowling 'em around).

Really rusty ones being retired... you can wire them together to make a 'rack' for the bottom of a pot to use it as a canner or steamer, although I dunno *how* rusty I'd want rings going in my good cooking pots. I bet you could use them for a mobile/windchimes/garden-art, with or without a coat of paint, if you like doing that sort of thing.

framing fowl -- it's probably still worth taking the rings off (and washing both them and the parts of the jars they were covering, as some jars may have some icky stuff there by now), to prevent further icky stuff or rust. It's not like you *have* to do it but it makes the rings last a lot longer and it makes the threaded parts of the jars (some jars) a lot less gross when you eventually go to open them :p

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Oberhaslikid

Power Conserver
Reaction score
When I have rusty ones I clean with a small wire brush the size of a toothbrush found in tool section.Then you can spray with cooking spray.to keep from rusting. I took apart a wire clothes hanger and hand them on the hanger to keep them.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
That hanger idea is a great one! Will have to try.

I have some from jars given to me that were from the 1940's on forward, and they are too rusted to use. I kept them, of course, and uise them to elevate potted plants, or spray paint them with Rustoleum and make padded picture frames for Christmas ornaments.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
You're supposed to take the rings off?? :ep I didn't know that. I think the thought makes me nervous.

Oberhaslikid

Power Conserver
Reaction score
If that jar is sealed like its suppose to be you dont need the ring.
I always wondered why you couldnt paint them? I have seen and have some white ones.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I have had a few jars that I thought were sealed spoil on my shelf back in the days BEFORE I learned to take off the rings.

Here is the process:

* Can the item.
* Check to hear the seal pop or feel to make sure it has. (This way you can refrigerate any that did not seal or reprocess with a new lid and not waste any of your hard work.)
* Wait until the item is TOTALLY cooled off. (I usually remove rings the day following canning) Gently remove the rings. Clean and store those rings.
* AFTER the ring is removed check the seal again. Visually check the pop spot and gently pick up the jar by the edges of the lid. (A good seal will support the weight of the jar.)
* Clean the jar for storage. (At this point I wash all of my jars in warm soapy water, rinse well, wipe off and allow them to dry completely)
* Label the jar for storage. (Include contents, date, and any notes ... like soupy sauce or extra hot sauce)
* Record (keeping a record book of all the things you preserve is a great idea. It REALLY helps you to learn how your family eats and how much they need to last from year to year.)
* Place jars in storage. (Cool, dark and dry as possible)

Most of us old timers have been doing this for years. I thought a list might help some of the newbies.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Oberhaslikid said:
If that jar is sealed like its suppose to be you dont need the ring.
I always wondered why you couldnt paint them? I have seen and have some white ones.
I have sanded off some of those rusty old rings and spray painted them to use when storing dry storage items like pasta, beans, or dehydrated goods. I spray painted the top only of some USED canning lids for the purpose as well. I used a spray paint for metal.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've only taken the rings off of "one time use" foods-stuff that is used up once its opened (fruit, soup, sauces, veggies), but have left the rings on "repeaters"-stuff that you only use a little of and store the rest in the fridge (jam, pickles, salsa, etc). I didn't realize you were SUPPOSED to take them off, I just don't always have enough rings to go around. :idunno

As for ideas-paint & decorate for christmas ornaments &/or decorations like mini wreaths? connect several for large wreath? hang a crystal or ? in the center for a sun catcher?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Ball makes a plastic lid for re-closing those 'use it again' items once you break the seal. I put off buying them for years - now I wonder why I waited so long!