Sad Day

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We went out this morning to drop of the recyclables, get bbq propane and do some grocery shopping.

When we got home, we found our rooster dead out in the field, feathers all over, his head ripped half off, and two hens missing...feathers all over the place.

This puts us down to just 4 hens left. We started with 15 chickens 3 years ago and added 2 roosters when 1 of the hens went broody 2 years ago. One hen, a bantam, was pecked almost to death by the others. I had to put her down. And, another hen was found dead without a mark about a year or so ago.

We used to keep them in the run exclusively, but 1 1/2 years ago, we started letting them free range on our property. They looked healthier, happier, and the eggs even looked better. But, the past few months we have lost one here or there, and today 3. We don't know if it is hawks or foxes since we are never at home when it happens.

We've decided to let the remaining 4 hens do what they want...stay in the run or free range. They are over 3 years old and their egg production has diminished. I can't see keeping them exclusively in the run since they have had quite a while out on the range. I don't want to "punish" them.

Our thoughts for out 10 x 8 coop is to make it into a tool shed, and our 10 x 16 run into a "protected garden" once they are all taken or die, but that could be a long time. Or, perhaps we'll just get 3 or 4 new hens, keep them exclusively in the run since they know no better, stop providing our co-workers, family and friends with free eggs. It gets expensive...just keep the eggs for ourselves.

Just wanted to share....

150.jpg

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
so sorry for your losses:hugs Maybe getting just a few for yourselves and keeping them in a tractor would work. We have been very lucky so far- we've only lost one to a young eagle. I don't know if it's because of our LGD or not.

CJ1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear this. Do you have any dogs? It's amazing how good they are at keeping unwanted predators away.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. @Britesea I think we are going to do just that. @CJ1...LOL...Rosie is 15 years old and all of 12 pounds. Not the watchdog type.

CJ1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ah ok. Maybe another pup is in your future.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss! Predators sure can take the fun out of chicken keeping, I've had so many losses myself. An LGD is a good idea. A new pup to protect the new chickens to replace the old flock? ;)

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The only problem with an LGD that I should warn you about... they BARK... a LOT. That's part of their MO; they are warning predators that they are here, awake, and on duty. If you have neighbors that might object, you need to talk to them or there will be anger and discontent in the neighborhood.

We had to watch her carefully at first with the ducks; she thought they were wonderfully silly toys and managed to fatally injure my Cayuga drake. Once she got the idea that they were not toys, we've not had any problems. She isn't out with the ducks all day because we have to keep her on a chain- not because of the ducks but because she will chase off any deer or squirrel that she sees, and our current perimeter fence is no barrier to her (she barely breaks stride sailing over a 3 foot fence). One of our projects that we'll hopefully get to this year is a new 6 foot fence; which we've determined is tall enough to keep her in. She's outside on the chain for much of the day though, and seems to be fine with it; whenever one of us is coming back into the house we will invite her in, but she usually doesn't come in, preferring her chosen spot under the cottonwood tree.

Other than that, they are Big, Beautiful, and Loving dogs.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have a Great Pyrenees that was free at 10 months old because she killed chickens. Her previous owners left her out all day on 3 acres covered with game chickens. The ultimate squeaky toy for a big puppy! When this one doesn't move anymore, there's another! They punished her terribly and by the time I got her she HATED CHICKENS. It took 2 years to undo the damage, but she turned into the best chicken guarding dog that anyone could ever ask for. Now she is learning lambs....

By all means, get a few hens. How could you eat store bought eggs after having your own? Your coop and run is so nice, I just know a few hens would be delighted to call it home. At our previous house (living in town) I kept a few hens and added 6 more each spring. In the fall I butchered the 6 oldest ones. I usually kept them up to 3 years old. That way, I always had new young hens and old hens to butcher and can broth from. Our Grand Daughter thinks Mamaw's chicken broth is the ONLY thing that will make her feel better when she is sick!

You could turn your hens out when you are home, in the evenings. That way, you could keep an eye on them and they could get a little free time.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
No new dogs in our plans at this time. Lost another one day before last. I have the last 3 girls locked in the run unless I'm outside. I hate it; they look so lonely and lost. Funny how we can get so upset about nature being nature.