Squash Pizza!!!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We are over loaded with yellow squash and zuchinni!! All the recipes started to sound the same, so I made one up. I used a pizza dough recipe from www.eatingwell.com and it was very good. I rolled out the dough real thin. I spread a couple tablespoons sphagetti sauce, followed by sliced onions, then plenty of pepperonis. Then I sprinkled grated sharp cheddar cheese over that. I sliced 1 yellow squash and 1 zuchinni and placed them on the pizza and topped it off with lots of cheese. Then I baked it at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. It was YUMMY!

Easy Whole-Wheat Pizza Dough

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/easy_whole_wheat_pizza_dough.html
From EatingWell: July/August 2008
This homemade, yeasted whole-wheat pizza dough requires only one rising, not two, so it's quicker to make than you might suspect. Although bread flour provides more gluten to help the dough maintain its elasticity when shaped and baked, we tested the recipe with all-purpose flour and had good results. This sturdy dough was developed for grilled pizzas, but it can be used in any pizza recipe calling for 1 pound of pizza dough.

4-6 servings (1 pound pizza dough) | Active Time: 20 minutes | Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes

Ingredients
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons lukewarm water, (105-115F)
1 package active dry yeast, (2 1/4 teaspoons)
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup whole-wheat flour
1 cup bread flour, or all-purpose flour, plus additional for dusting
2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal

Preparation
1.Stir water, yeast, sugar and salt in a large bowl; let stand until the yeast has dissolved, about 5 minutes. Stir in whole-wheat flour, bread flour (or all-purpose flour) and cornmeal until the dough begins to come together.
2.Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. (Alternatively, mix the dough in a food processor. Process until it forms a ball, then process for 1 minute to knead.)
3.Place the dough in an oiled bowl and turn to coat. (To make individual pizzas, see Variation.) Cover with a clean kitchen towel and set aside in a warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.Individual variation: The dough can be turned into 4 or 6 personal-size pizzas. After kneading, divide the dough into 4 or 6 equal balls. Brush with oil and place 3 inches apart on a baking sheet. Cover and set aside until doubled in size, about 1 hour. Roll each portion into a 6-to-8-inch circle.

Nutrition

Per pound : 970 Calories; 5 g Fat; 1 g Sat; 1 g Mono; 0 mg Cholesterol; 200 g Carbohydrates; 36 g Protein; 22 g Fiber; 1152 mg Sodium; 782 mg Potassium

Tips & Notes
Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 3, cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Or tightly wrap the unrisen dough in oiled plastic wrap and freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost the dough in the refrigerator overnight. Let refrigerated (or previously frozen) dough stand at room temperature for 1 hour before using.

2536_squash_pizza_slice.jpg

Just Me

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
We make one similar but completely vegie. We roast our squash with eggplant, garlic, and onion and then put it over our pizza sauce and top it all with cheese. Even my little kids loved this one. Great use for all that squash!!

Latest posts