1. Announcing the new awards/recognition feature - medals!
    Read MORE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

2. SS Featured Thread: What do you do...
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

3. Official SS Caption Contest #3 - August 2014 - Pic by Hinotori
    Click HERE!

4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

5. Caption Contest Submissions - Pictures Needed
    Click HERE!

storing purple hull peas

Discussion in 'Roll Your Own - Homemade Products' started by PunkinPeep, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Jun 24, 2010
    PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Humble Ambitions

We got to pick some purple hull peas from a friend's garden and starting shucking them tonight.

The friends said that they store them unwashed in a pillow case in the freezer for about 6 months.

I'm fresh out of pillow cases.

Supposedly if you store them without washing them, there's no water to crystalize, and they store well.

So, can't i just do the same thing in a plastic ziploc bag?

What am i missing?
  2. Jun 24, 2010
    dragonlaurel

dragonlaurel Improvising a more SS life

A ziplock would keep any humidity remaining in the beans. Would they get more dry in a cloth cover?

Just a thought. Could you make a bundle out of some scrap cloth?
  3. Jun 25, 2010
    Ohioann

Ohioann Lovin' The Homestead

How about a tea towel? Just stitch the sides and make a bag. You don'teven have to get out the machine, hand stitching this much wouldn't take that much time. Ohioann

4. Jun 25, 2010
    PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Humble Ambitions

Well, that's a good idea.

But i'll tell ya what.

I posted the same question on another board, and i heard from 2 different people who store unwashed peas in ziploc bags and have eaten from that for more than a year with good results.

So, until i get some cheap pillow cases, i think i will be pretty happy with the ziplocs.

Also, i made a small pot of them this evening, and they were really good. I was surprised at how they cooked compared to dried beans or whatever. I didn't really expect to like them so much, but i really really did. So did my husband. We don't have any left (of the cooked ones, that is).

My hubby's friend came over and helped him shuck peas this evening, and now we have two gallon bags full in the freezer.

I love that. :celebrate