ChickenMomma91

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I did a quick search and I didn't see anything dedicated strictly to strawbales. I'm planning a strawbale garden this year with lots of herbs interplanted amongst the veggies as companion plants. Has anyone had experience with this type of format for gardening?

ChickenMomma91

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Had the girls on top of the bales this morning. It sprouted grass so they got a treat. Planting some stuff this weekend :)

ChickenMomma91

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Here's the tomatoes and peppers! Gotta spray paint my garden staples to prevent rust before I put my drip hose on top. Then I'll do my seed beds on top of that and do the direct sowings! Next week I direct sow the beans I got from @BlueJay77
image.jpg
image.jpg

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I tried strawbales one year and decided it wasn't for me. I didn't have enough soaker hoses to keep them always moist so the plants did not thrive (except some lima beans that someone talked me into planting- they grew like gangbusters, but my 90+ day growing season simply isn't long enough)

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I just ran across an interesting idea- someone built a raised bed on top of conditioned straw bales. I'll be curious to see how thing go as the summer progresses for them.
I have built enough raised beds now that I'm pretty well committed to that style of gardening.