strawbale house?

ashylove1

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
hey all! its been awhile. major change of life... husband ended up getting out of the service, then 2 weeks later we separated, and got divorced. :( happier now though. still wanting to be sufficient, but having trouble getting back into the swing of it. much less resources now than i had then. all my appliances and canning stuff is either with him, or sold by now. so trying to replace and refigure. right now, i am living in a studio apartment(less than 400 square feet) with my bf and out 2 cats. so i am looking into options for us to move. it is becoming nessecary. the apartment is falling apart and molding around us. so, does anyone have experience with straw bale houses? its one option we are looking into, as well as tiny houses. any advice you can give would be appreciated.

oh and we are in new hampshire. moving is an option, based on us finding work.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Omg...So sorry to hear this. Maybe you can check out the 'Live in Hippi' thread.
I have a trailer that needs fixing, before I can think of renting it and I was thinking on letting a young guy stay there 4 months rent free, but he never got back with me, but I am so very far from you.
Giving the circumstances you have described, I have often thought that I would like to get a camper, sell everything I don't absolutely need and live like a gypsie for a while. I can't, of course, because way too much baggage, children and an aged father.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Don't have any suggestions, but hope you're able to get it all figured out.

ashylove1

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
thank you for your replies. we are looking to move away from here, just need to figure out where and time-frame and all that first. things are getting somewhat better, but with us wanting to move in the next 6 months, the job offers we have gotten, we are not sure if we want to take just to move away. its hard to have to make the decisions not knowing the outcome.

ashylove1

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Omg...So sorry to hear this. Maybe you can check out the 'Live in Hippi' thread.
I have a trailer that needs fixing, before I can think of renting it and I was thinking on letting a young guy stay there 4 months rent free, but he never got back with me, but I am so very far from you.
Giving the circumstances you have described, I have often thought that I would like to get a camper, sell everything I don't absolutely need and live like a gypsie for a while. I can't, of course, because way too much baggage, children and an aged father.
where would i find this thread?

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I can't find it and I used the search key. It was there a day or 2 ago. Circumstances may have changed. Don't even recall who wrote it.
I can tell you that 400 is cheap compared to what rent is going here lately. I hate to hear about someone in limbo, so I really do hope ya'll figure something good out.
But seriously, I have thought that depending on the circumstances, I would like to just live in a camper and explore a bit. See where life treats you good and such.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I like the camper idea. Ya'll could travel, maybe even intern on farms. There are lots of jobs here in Texas. Maybe look on some job sites. Back to the camper idea.....it's just you and your BF, so why not? There is a camper site near here where you can park your camper trailer for a few hundred a month, electricity and water included. There are RV parks all over the country and it would be cheaper than renting a house. Go! Travel! See where you want to hang your hat!

http://busterrvpark.webs.com/

Now this is just one RV park in a small town with out a lot of jobs available, but you get the idea.

ashylove1

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
strange enough, we would both love to have an rv, and travel. we definitly need to figure it out though. his brother does that. :) he paid 600 and got a small rv for him and his dog. works for them. lol. i have been looking, but where we are i wasnt having luck. i am starting to find a few, now its just waiting for the money and figuring out where we want to go, and what we want to do.

and thank you, ill check that thread out. :)

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If nothing else, do ya'll have vehicle you can trade in for a pickup truck? You might be able to get a truck camper for less than an RV and it would be so much easier to park, cost less and a truck is awesome if you have a farm mentality.
The thing to do is to improvise and live with less though. I could deal with not having a full bath because I do it every weekend, at work. I wash up in a basin to prepare for my last 16 hour stretch. Also, is whatever you thinking of getting, capable of housing you in a pinch....just parked, without being hooked to a grid? That gives you freedom to explore.