Strawberries

Sherrynboo

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Does anyone on here grow strawberries and have good luck with them? I have planted some here and there but never really put in enough to do anything with. I am now thinking of ordering about 50 of the everbearing. Are those as good at producing as the others that all come in at one time?

Sherry in Ga

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
I planted some everbearing last year but I did not do anything with them. I only got enough to nibble on a couple every few days. I never got enough to actually do anything with. I only planted 10 plants I think.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Back in the 80's we planted 25 early and 25 ever bearing. Then the second year and third years, we did the same. We had continuous crop and, as I recall, enough to keep our family of four happy.

If you can find it at your local library or at Amazon, Gene Logsdon has a book called Successful Berry Growing: How to Plant, Prune, Pick, and Preserve Bush and Vine Fruits which I think is wonderful. Of course, I love all his books.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We have strawberries in planters and hanging baskets, but they don't tend to do well until the second year.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I put in 90 plants (I seem to overdo EVERYTHING!!!) a few years ago and not much the first year, kicked butt the second and ate lots, gave lots away, froze tons, and the third year, less. Ripped 'em out, planted veggies there two years, and am thinking about strawberries again. I use LOTS of compost on everything, at least 3-4 inches. That makes a big difference.

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I always have good luck with strawberries, but I just grow the June bearing ones. I also live in a completely different climate than you. I also spread lots of compost and pine needles on them.

Mine also seem to do the best in their second year. The third is pretty good too but then they start to go downhill pretty fast after that. I try to stagger two separate patches, space and motivation permitting.

Sherrynboo

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I have a few left from last year so maybe those will do better this year. Sorry you lost yours to chickens dacjohns.

Sherry

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I grow everbearing and alpine strawberries- they are very productive if you can get ahead of the slug (Gieant Redwoods and Giant Slugs,) problem.

I never bought any more after the first orders- most strawberries have runners and baby plants aare my sole source of replacement plants. Last year I had to thin the bed as I was moving it and ended up composting dozens for which there was no room.
Many people will be able to provide you with their overproduction.

Looking for a strawberry suitable for your area and taste is important- some do better in warmer areas, some in cold. My favorite has always been a cold weather variety just because of taste.

They like humusly ground and straw (or some other mulch) will help keep the berries moist and above the ground. Laying on the ground encourages fungus on the berries.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I planted a few to see how they would do. The squirrels really appreciated me planting them for them :p