Strawberries

momofdrew

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
check your catalogs from your area they will have the best plants for your area... being in New Hampshire I buy from Johnny's Select Seeds in Maine...I grow ever bearing and always have enough for the table and jams and the chickens...you might want to try a raised bed with lots of compost added then put in your plants and lay down straw to keep them out of the dirt...it takes a year to get good production out of them...I have had strawberries in my garden for 12 years and they seem to do well every other year...

If you have a slug problem try Diamatious EArth around the plant keep replacing it as needed all season...

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I planted 25 summer bearing and 50 everbearing last year. Picked the blooms all year to allow their energy to go into rooting, so we will see this next year :)

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
I planted 25 summer bearing and 50 everbearing last year. Picked the blooms all year to allow their energy to go into rooting, so we will see this next year :)
I have read repeatedly that you are supposed to do that (pluck the blooms off the first year.) But I run into so few people who actually do it. It must be very painful. LOL

I got about 18-20 plants from a freecycle neighbor that I planted in the fall. They seem to be growing and thriving even after being burried under snow. There was a bloom on one last weekend! I guess I should go pluck the thing off.

I just know it's going to hurt!

Cassandra

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I have never done that (pluck blossoms) on anything- the problem that I have with strawberries is keeping them from growing too much. If you have an animal pest problem, you can make a cage of chicken wire to go over them. I had to do that last year becasue the squirrels and foxes were leaving none for me. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately for me, I can't get results from DE because of our rain rain rain, Had better luck with crushed eggshells but ended up using Sluggo.

Boy if there was just a market for slug meat, I would be rich.........:lol:

1acrefarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
The cities excavator got my first attempt at growing them. The goats keep after the ones I have now.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
:pit was a killer to pull those babies off! hope it wasn't unnecessary after all... it really did make sense to me, though.

slugs--uggh! i hate those things! they thrive in my heavily mulched gardens