This site seems like a wealth of knowledge :)

collie1470

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
My fiance and I are planning on living as close to a self sufficient life as possible once we get a home with some land. We're in Kansas now and feel that it isn't really for us. A transfer to Maine is in the works (fingers crossed!!!). If it goes through, we've found a house we want to check out more in person on 25 acres. It's already hooked up to the grid, but my goodness is it beautiful. I plan to have a garden whenever we get a property. It'll be my responsibility, as his thumb is about as far from green as possible.

We also plan to get a couple of horses (mostly for enjoyment, but they'll also make getting around on a large piece of land easier), a couple of cows, a couple of sheep (I do a lot with wool, so it just made sense), a few pigs, and chickens.....more chickens than anything else, as that is what we primarily eat, meat-wise. I've been researching their genetics, and plan to work on a useful and interesting cross over several generations (so far the breeds to be used are naked necks, as the reduced feathering makes processing easier....plus they look adorable, jersey giants, for size, Easter Egger, for egg color and the small comb, and I'm thinking some Orpington for temperment and broodiness). It'll take a while to get down, but I think it'd be worth it to have our most "useful" animal be a bit more suited to us....plus I love crossing for results.

I'm mostly here to learn for now, since we haven't gotten started yet :/ But, we're both super excited for when we do! At the very least, being self sustaining regarding food is our goal.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Welcome, from Texas! Sounds like you've got a plan. Hope you keep a journal and can chronicle, and share, your progress. :)

collie1470

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I will :)

I guess the guy im charge of my fiance's transfer is on vacation until the 20th....so I'm anxious for him to come back.....I just want to know if we'll be going or not before I drive myself crazy haha.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
:welcome I'm in the process of developing my own chickens as well.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Welcome! There is tons of excellent information here. Go to the end of sections that appeal to you and read forward. Thanks to SS I have an Excalibur dehydrator and Family Grain mill. Plus I have learned so much here. Welcome!