Top Bar Hive Build.....

FarmerD

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
here are some pics on the 24 TBH build i got going on right now. still have a few things to get and some more painting to do to finish up.
353.JPG

355.JPG

356.JPG
357.JPG

FarmerD

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
in the end, they'll look like this.......
phone pics 351.jpg

ill be picking up the material for the legs tomorrow, and placing the order for the metal roof in the next day or so. still waiting for warmer weather to paint the roofs and remaining 8 hives. ill get some more pics up as assembly continues

FarmerD

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
thanks. we're working up to selling bees next year

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
FarmerD, I commend you for posting a photo-illustrated, multi-phase DIY homestead project on the SS site.

Great project. The hive system looks fascinating. My only experience with bees has been with the now-conventional frame and stackable box hive design.

Hats off to the hands-on lifestylers!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Great job on those!!!! I love the TBHs and once had one I made from a blue, plastic barrel. I love how they are tended, I love it that the bees make natural comb and that the comb is not reused.

As a woman I find using a TBH method easier than lifting heavy pieces of hive around to add more space.

Will you be using a more natural method in your beekeeping as well?

FarmerD

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
we very deliberately chose to start our beekeeping careers with top bars. our plan is to go into commercial bee production utilizing treatment free, small/natural cell and feral genetics, and top bar. in the end i plan on a bit over 100 of these hives, each with the option of operating as a full 4' hive or 2 2' nucs. the basis of our sales will be shook swarms from our colonies. this will put us in the situation of having a very large population on our farm at the strategic moment of the year when we need the most pollination services. then we will sell off the excess population for a profit and spend the rest of the season rebuilding. artificial swarms, as opposed to packages, have a much higher success rate through their first winter. we aspire to build a reputation on this concept. we will also raise a number of queens and sell small quantities of honey and wax.