twig fence

mlynd

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ok has any one made one ?? if so can I see pics i have lots of sticks and i thought it would be a good way to reuse them around my garden and make it look pretty:D:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I've always wanted to do a wattle fence! I think they are cute, they tend to last and be sturdy and they are a good way to use something that ordinarily would not be used. If you do one, could you post pics?

Here's a few pics of wattle fencing:

wattle-fence-inside.jpg

wattlefence.jpg

267864_730082386891_1012629_36960170_1106784_n.jpg

And a link, telling how to do it:

http://www.allotmentforestry.com/fact/rwattle.htm

mlynd

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
i plan on posting some as soon as I figer out how to do one :lol: thats why I wanted to know DH is building me a grape arbor tomorrow out of some and i got to thinking why not a fence around the garden so wheels are spinning in the mind let the ideas come ;)

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I love the wattle fence but we've not gone there yet.

Here's a pic of our attempted brush pile bentwood fence:

5-1-10016.jpg

It's kept out everything but our banty chickens ( :barnie ) so there's a 2' tall chicken wire fence along the bottom.

Doc made these pretty bentwood/brush-pile, banty chicken-friendly gates:

5-1-10018.jpg

5-1-10015.jpg

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Love the look of the wattle fence.

mlynd

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
oh I love it Dawn :D I hope more ideas come so I can chose on the one that will work for me

dwbonfire

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
wow i just love the idea of this... i really want to make a rose arbor and a grape arbor and this would be soo neat to do. does it matter what kind of trees/wood you use??

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Traditionally they are made from willow branches but I think anything that is supple ought to do the trick.

Dawn, I think that is adorable! So different! I bet your neighbors and passersby really like it also.

I like the wattle fencing because it actually looks like it belongs in the landscape, as opposed to posts and metal fencing or even slat board/picket fencing.

dwbonfire

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Traditionally they are made from willow branches but I think anything that is supple ought to do the trick.

Dawn, I think that is adorable! So different! I bet your neighbors and passersby really like it also.

I like the wattle fencing because it actually looks like it belongs in the landscape, as opposed to posts and metal fencing or even slat board/picket fencing.
i agree, looks great..
i did go to that link and saw to use willows, hazel, and sweet chesnut? we dont have any of those around here that i know of. lots of oaks and some maples, pecan trees.. not sure what else really.