Vanilla Caramel Pear Butter

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This is so good! Plus I had a bit left over so I dumped it into the dehydrator for fruit leather.

INGREDIENTS
7 lbs pears, peeled, cored and coarsely chopped
1/2 cup water
Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
3-4 cups brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons ground vanilla (or 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract)
INSTRUCTIONS
Combine pears, water and lemon zest and juice. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat, cover and boil gently, stirring occasionally, until pears are soft, about 20 minutes.
Puree using an immersion blender, food mill, or food processor just until a smooth texture is achieved. Do not liquify. Measure 8 cups of pear puree.
In a large slow cooker, combine pear puree and brown sugar. Stir until sugar dissolves. Prop lid open with the handle of a wooden spoon and allow to reduce gently on low for about 8 hours.
Stir in the ground vanilla and cook for 1 more hour. Finished pear butter will be thick and hold its shape on a spoon.
This will keep in the refrigerator for up to 1 month, or you can water bath process for 5 minutes (adjust for altitude).

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
This does sound yummy. Now if I can only find some pears!

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
going to kats to get pears this week. so going to try this. thanks for the recipe!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This is so good! Plus I had a bit left over so I dumped it into the dehydrator for fruit leather.

INGREDIENTS
7 lbs pears, peeled, cored and coarsely chopped
1/2 cup water
Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
3-4 cups brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons ground vanilla (or 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract)
INSTRUCTIONS
Combine pears, water and lemon zest and juice. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat, cover and boil gently, stirring occasionally, until pears are soft, about 20 minutes.
Puree using an immersion blender, food mill, or food processor just until a smooth texture is achieved. Do not liquify. Measure 8 cups of pear puree.
In a large slow cooker, combine pear puree and brown sugar. Stir until sugar dissolves. Prop lid open with the handle of a wooden spoon and allow to reduce gently on low for about 8 hours.
Stir in the ground vanilla and cook for 1 more hour. Finished pear butter will be thick and hold its shape on a spoon.
This will keep in the refrigerator for up to 1 month, or you can water bath process for 5 minutes (adjust for altitude).

Sounds so delicious... can I try your recipe?

How many pints does this make?

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yum, I can't wait for pears to come in and make some of this stuff. It sounds unbelievably amazing. I would imagine it would make at least a canner full. Well maybe if doubled or tripled.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My neighbor just dropped off a big bag of pears on our step this week (a thank you, I guess, for the okra, eggs, and peppers we left at their house a few days ago.) We were just talking about making pear butter so this recipe came to my attention at just the right time. :)

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
uploadfromtaptalk1409523709664.jpg

Got a few pears :)

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
@crealbilly you got a great harvest there!

@Britesea thanks for the recipe! How did the fruit leather turn out? I think that sounds like something my fussy son may enjoy.

Latest posts